Need Storage Guidance

linder9102

Aug 14, 2021
Hi,

I am semi-new to proxmox and kvm is new to me since I switched over from VMWare hypervisor. For past 4 months or so I been have difficulty figuring out a proper to configure my storage with ZFS.

My pve currently has the following storage devices attached to it:
1x500GB Sata SSD
1x2TB Sata SSD
1x500GB NVME M.2 SSD
1x 1TB NVME M.2 SSD
3x 2TB HDD
1x 1TB HDD

After numerous configurations and reading different sources I ended up creating 3 zpools, 1 for all SSD's, 1 for all NVME and so on. All pools are configured as single. I installed root with ZFS on my 500GB sata SSD. Then I created 6 partitions on my 500GB NVME so I can add L2ARC(30G) and ZIL(80GB) to each one of my zpools. My current configurations get the job done but seems very insufficient. For example, I notice IO delays, VERY VERY high usage of ram by host and etc.

I mostly use my PVE server 3 VMs mostly, firewall(opnsense/pfsense), NAS/Plex Media Server which I usually install on Ubuntu Server and Home assistant for automation. My current server runs on 5950x with 64GB ram and 2 PIC 10GB NIC cards for total of six 10GB LAN connections for firewall and NAS/PLEX so I can transfer media fast.

Only 2 VMs are currently even on and only 16GB of ram give between both. 2.png

Any advice or instruction for better setup would be appreciated. I prefer my server also be configured for efficiency not just completion.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!