Need help with Proxmox hotplug CPU issue

ankur.kumar

May 5, 2024
Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue with hotplugging CPUs in Proxmox. Here's what's happening:

1. Set a limit of 6 vCPUs.
  2. Launched a Windows VM with 2 vCPUs.
  3. Enabled NUMA and hotplug options in the VM settings.
When I try to increase the number of vCPUs using the edit option in the hardware section, the latest configurations show up in an orange line instead of actually increasing the number of vCPUs. Additionally, if I restart the VM from the console, the vCPU count remains unchanged, but if I reboot it from the Proxmox dashboard, the vCPU count increases.
Screenshot 2024-05-05 171214.png
Screenshot 2024-05-05 171309.png
Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

That is the expected behavior. Changes that can only be made on a stopped VM, will wait until Proxmox sees them stopped & then starts them again. The VM rebooting "itself" does not fulfill this condition. If you stop the VM - you'll see the updated config act.

Edit: Read here for the correct implementation for CPU hotplugging.

Last edited:
Thanks @gfngfn256 for the response! I appreciate the clarification. But if I need to manually stop and start the VM for changes to take effect, what's the point of hotplugging? Just trying to understand the rationale behind it. Thanks again!"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!