Multiple VZDUMP processes

Eversons99

Sep 6, 2023
Brasil
github.com
I'm running some backups routines at the same time, but sometimes they don't run and show the message "INFO: trying to get global lock - waiting...", is there a problem running mutiple backups at the same time ? Can more than one vzdump process run at the same time ?

Note: I'm using the latest version of PVE (8.0.4) and i've already removed the vzdump.lock from /var/run

I'm running some backups routines at the same time, but sometimes they don't run and show the message "INFO: trying to get global lock - waiting...", is there a problem running mutiple backups at the same time ? Can more than one vzdump process run at the same time ?

Note: I'm using the latest version of PVE (8.0.4) and i've already removed the vzdump.lock from /var/run
Hi,
no the locks are in place to guarantee exclusive access during the backup job, you cannot perform multiple jobs at the same time. Also, you should not delete the lock file, as otherwise you break this exclusive access.

Reactions: Eversons99
Hi,
no the locks are in place to guarantee exclusive access during the backup job, you cannot perform multiple jobs at the same time. Also, you should not delete the lock file, as otherwise you break this exclusive access.
Ok but still i've doubts, when you say that i can't run mutiple jobs at the same time, does that mean that i can't start/schedule two jobs that start at the same time or that i can't have two jobs running at the same time even if they have been started at different times ?

Hi,
Now i understand, i can't run two jobs at the same time when the souce is the same for both. I have a lot of jobs that are going to different souces (PVE's), sometimes worked and sometimes it don't, but now i understand why. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!