Multiple Network Interfaces through One physical port

premudeshi99

Dec 9, 2020
Hello,

I am extremely new to proxmox and I have been stuck on this issue for hours. Alot of new people seem to be having this problem, but their solutions tend to be different to what I want. I have also tried reading the networking documentation several times but it just makes my head hurt. :confused:

I have an Ubuntu VM, where I run a bunch of docker containers. I would like to assign each docker container a different network interface, so that it has its own IP address. Ideally I would like to create multiple interfaces through the host.

This is my network config in my host:
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 2.01.49 PM.png

Eno3 is the port that I would like to use. vmbr2, vmbr3 are the bridges that I created.

When I boot into ubuntu, vmbr2 connects to the internet where as vmbr3 doesn't, even if I set static IP addresses. I can't ping to vmbr3, neither from the host machine nor another device on the network.

What would be the best way to do what I am trying to do?

Thanks.

Reactions: devtale
I have an Ubuntu VM, where I run a bunch of docker containers. I would like to assign each docker container a different network interface, so that it has its own IP address. Ideally I would like to create multiple interfaces through the host.
If the container run on the same subnet then use a linux bridge inside the VM as well. You may need to handle STP.

When I boot into ubuntu, vmbr2 connects to the internet where as vmbr3 doesn't, even if I set static IP addresses. I can't ping to vmbr3, neither from the host machine nor another device on the network.
vmbr3 has no connection to another interface. The Linux bridge is like a switch and forwards on layer 2, meaning it doesn't care about IPs so much.

Be aware that this will become a very customized solution and will require the understanding of network switching/routing. Best to read up on it. ;)

Reactions: premudeshi99
Ah, I see.

If the container run on the same subnet then use a linux bridge inside the VM as well. You may need to handle STP.
I guess it will be easier to use macvlan within the docker containers, or maybe just use docker bridges. I won't be able to control it from the Proxmox ui though.

vmbr3 has no connection to another interface. The Linux bridge is like a switch and forwards on layer 2, meaning it doesn't care about IPs so much.
Ah. Makes sense, so id have to link it to something like eth3.x and configure vlan if I wanted that to work.

Thanks a lot!

I guess it will be easier to use macvlan within the docker containers, or maybe just use docker bridges. I won't be able to control it from the Proxmox ui though.
In any case you will have to do configuration on the VM.

Ah. Makes sense, so id have to link it to something like eth3.x and configure vlan if I wanted that to work.
You can set the bridge to be vlan-aware, then it will recognize the different vlan tags.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!