Multiple disks and volume groups

lievenva

Dec 26, 2009
Hello,

is Proxmox already capable of dealing with different volume groups? As I have SAS and SATA raid containers on my current system, I'd like to be flexible enough to put parts of the guest systems (like swap, var and system filesystems) on SAS while keeping mass file storage on SATA. I'm about to upgrade my virtualisation platform (currently using kvm and libvirt), where I used to assign different logical volumes to each individual filesystem of my guest (usually sys, swap, var, home). Can this be done with proxmox - maybe with some manual intervention post-installation?

thanks,

Lieven

Hello,

is Proxmox already capable of dealing with different volume groups? As I have SAS and SATA raid containers on my current system, I'd like to be flexible enough to put parts of the guest systems (like swap, var and system filesystems) on SAS while keeping mass file storage on SATA. I'm about to upgrade my virtualisation platform (currently using kvm and libvirt), where I used to assign different logical volumes to each individual filesystem of my guest (usually sys, swap, var, home). Can this be done with proxmox - maybe with some manual intervention post-installation?

thanks,

Lieven

yes, no problem.

see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model

Thanks Tom!

is there a screenshot of a virtual machine definition - storage mapping to virtual machine disk-devices? (couldn't find one - and have no system by hand to test)

All the best,

Lieven

Thanks Tom!

is there a screenshot of a virtual machine definition - storage mapping to virtual machine disk-devices? (couldn't find one - and have no system by hand to test)

All the best,

Lieven

the wiki article describe how it works - what do you miss exaclty?

Hi,
I'm trying with two diferent drbd resources with diferent lvm groups on top of them, and all is fine.
Now i want to migrate some kvm from one lvm storage (drbd0) to another lvm storage (drbd1) but i don't know if it is posible.
I find an alternate way of doing it, stoping my kvm, making a backup, and restoring them on the new storage. But it would be fantastic to do a live migration from one storage to another. Is it posible?
Thanks!

Hi,
I'm trying with two diferent drbd resources with diferent lvm groups on top of them, and all is fine.
Now i want to migrate some kvm from one lvm storage (drbd0) to another lvm storage (drbd1) but i don't know if it is posible.
I find an alternate way of doing it, stoping my kvm, making a backup, and restoring them on the new storage. But it would be fantastic to do a live migration from one storage to another. Is it posible?
Thanks!

no, live migration only works if the same storage is used - by definition. working with backup/restore is the recommended way to move.

Hi Tom,
this means, if i have a vm with two disks - /dev/sasvg/vm-102-disk-1 and /dev/satavg/vm-102-disk-2 i can't use live migration for this vm?

Udo

if both storages are accessable from both hosts you can use live migration. but you cannot live migrate from one storage type to another one - means changing the storage (storage migration).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!