Multi Datacenter Management

Ignoring bugs for the moment, what will it not do, that vcenter does?
The main purpose for my customers will be to have many clusters and single nodes distributed across Europe or the whole world in one GUI. This provides a rudimentary health overview and makes it easy to centrally manage VMs in different clusters/nodes.
It is also very important to have centralized rights management to determine which admin can access which clusters / nodes or VMs.

Cluster management and configuration of the nodes is still done individually.

Central patch management might also be a good idea, but this will certainly not be in the first version.

You have to understand part of the ethos of this community manifests itself in bringing up everything bad about the so-called competition that others are willing to pay for multiple $$$ for. That's about it.

NB If anything, it will be GUI wrapper around qm remote-migrate, I would not expect much more. You can't really have anything more with the corosync based model.
That, and a single plane of glass that consolidates all the clusters into one tree view is about all I expect.
Ideally can show all vms for all clusters at once with load and other summary, but as long as can drill down it's ok.

That, and a single plane of glass that consolidates all the clusters into one tree view is about all I expect.
Ideally can show all vms for all clusters at once with load and other summary, but as long as can drill down it's ok.

Sometimes I wonder, how many users can actually appreciate the quorum based cluster setup. After all, one wants a control node (whatever you want to call it) and in that case that might have been the master instead of the clumsy quorum. If you lose it, fair enough, you are like without quorum, but it's rather simple setup and does not have special demands on networking latency, etc.

IOW Once there's single control plane for multiple clusters, that means also multiple nodes, that means also someone will wonder, why can't I run cluster in the same manner. Geographically scattered at that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!