Multi Datacenter Management

Hi,

is there an approximate timetable if and when the Multi Datacenter Management is coming?
At the moment this is the biggest showstopper in the migration of current VMware customers.
I have larger customers who would like to change hypervisors from the beginning of 2025, as VMware support only runs until the end of 2025.
With these customers we have to plan for the long term and if there was already a Multi Datacenter Management, the decision for the new hypervisor would have already been made.

+1

- We are a tech company with over 7000 customers and ~700 Virtual Machines.
- Multi Datacenter Management is very important to us.

We know the issues with Ceph and multi-site. Each data-center should have it's own Ceph cluster. But having an option to migrate a VM from one Datacenter to another is something we really need. We are currently using OpenStack, but we want something that requires less maintenance.

Kind regards,
Ben

+1

- We are a tech company with over 7000 customers and ~700 Virtual Machines.
- Multi Datacenter Management is very important to us.

We know the issues with Ceph and multi-site. Each data-center should have it's own Ceph cluster. But having an option to migrate a VM from one Datacenter to another is something we really need. We are currently using OpenStack, but we want something that requires less maintenance.

Kind regards,
Ben

Just in case you dont know: you can use qm remote-migrate to live migrate between two ceph clusters. please try first with a testing-machine.

Reactions: Falk R.
Yes, we're added API tokens for this and active development currently goes into a proof-of-concept to have remotes with VM migration to "external" nodes

+1 Datacenter Management

one more request which would make my eyes wet - a Migration tool for migrating VMs over from esx. is there any plans for it as well ?

I might make a script to make it easier. Possibility of having to migrate nearly 1000 vms in the near future... and if I set it up so only a few minutes of down time by using a storage vmotion would be nice to automate.

+1 We are a big consultant company here in Germany and we have many customers that want to migrate to proxmox since broadcom bought vmware, but due to the clustering thing... they are not sure about it. There´s a lot of money there, devs of proxmox, why are you taking so long?

thanks

> There´s a lot of money there, devs of proxmox, why are you taking so long?

i guess because money and growth is not the primary matter which proxmox company is eager after. and i think this is good and healthy

> There´s a lot of money there, devs of proxmox, why are you taking so long?

i guess because money and growth is not the primary matter which proxmox company is eager after. and i think this is good and healthy

While I agree to your opinion, I think that Proxmox can see itself involved into being the leading Virtualization open source platform, it´s not just about money but being also leaders

+1 We are a big consultant company here in Germany and we have many customers that want to migrate to proxmox since broadcom bought vmware, but due to the clustering thing... they are not sure about it. There´s a lot of money there, devs of proxmox, why are you taking so long?

thanks
Well, there is an API, if companies want to through money at something, they can simply hire developers and create a WebGUI for MultiCluster-Managemend using the existing PVE-APIs.....

Reactions: Falk R.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!