MS Exchange 2013 VSS writer error while backup. No log files were truncated

le-sky

Renowned Member
Feb 1, 2016
Hi I'm trying to migrate from Windows Backup Server to PBS as an alternative on the Windows Server client, but facing with error from MS Exchange.

Guest os: Windows Server 2012R2
App: MS Exchange 2013 CU23 standalone
Backup service: on PVE to PBS with installed and launched qemu-ga on client machine

When I've initiated a backup procedure by PVE, first I get warning and info like these (e.g. db Spam for other DBs is the same):
Code:
Warning    31.07.2022 22:32:33    MSExchangeRepl    2038    Exchange VSS Writer  Microsoft Exchange VSS Writer backup failed. No log files were truncated. Instance <generated uuid>. Database <db uuid>.
Information    31.07.2022 22:32:33    ESE    2006    ShadowCopy    "Information Store - Spam (7744) Shadow copy instance 2 completed successfully.

Then 1 error and 1 information::
Code:
Error    31.07.2022 22:32:33    MSExchangeRepl    2034    The Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS Writer (Instance <same inst. uuid>) failed with error FFFFFFFC when processing the backup completion event.
Information    31.07.2022 22:32:33    MSExchangeRepl    2037    The Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS Writer (Instance <same inst. uuid>) backup has been successfully shut down.

after some minutes I get info that VSS Provider was stopped:
Code:
The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.

Also I've repaired data by DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and sfc /scannow says everything is ok, but the problem with logs keeps staying.

Please help what could be wrong here?

Last edited:
Did you ever find a solution to this? I've just migrated my Hypervisor to ProxMox and need a new solution to backup Exchange 2016.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I've just migrated my Hypervisor to ProxMox and need a new solution to backup Exchange 2016.
Unfortunately not :(
Once in two week doing full backup by WBS turncates the logs. Maybe I will install the PS-script as workaround for this but it is not a solution ofc
Maybe moving to DAG solves the problem

Last edited:
Ah, i think this is related to 2012R2, i had this Problem too in the past!
Try googling around and you will find it.

Last edited:
Ah, i think this is related to 2012R2, i had this Problem too in the past!
Try googling around and you will find it.
oh no.. guess i've shovelled entire Internet over, twice
ok I keep trying)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!