Moving snapshots between local PBS datastores ?

hvisage

Renowned Member
May 21, 2013
I know this would be technically possible as it's basically a selective sync job, followed by a prune, followed by a GC 24:05 later.

The question is if there is a tool or procedure/method implementing it yet, and if not, any pointers?

Reason: I'm wanting to move historical backup snaphots to a new datastore for critical client backups that will be synced offsite to/from Tuxis.nl

History:
I have the case where I initially backed up to NFS backup storage and then (attempting to) rsync to off-site service... it worked... but not advised given the specific NFS backup solution's performance

Using Tuxis.nl PBS service (GREAT BTW if you are in need of an off site/remote backup for PVE!), I got impressed by PBS, so I deployed a bigger onsite PBS to replace the NFS. Now the challenge is dual backing up to both PBS@tuxis.nl and PBS-onsite seems to screw up the bitmaps for backups so things seems slower than usual, and besides, it is best to backup to one spot and then sync to the rest, but there doesn't seem to be a selective sync of only some VM snapshots. As such I'm looking to backup to multiple datastores (A) critical VMs, (B) longterm backups and/or (C) short-term backups, but the "fun" is I've already done too many backups a single datastore which I now would like to just move out the critical (A) datastore, instead of redoing the backups

While there is no direct "move snapshot" functionality, you can configure a remote [1] with 'localhost' as the address, and set up a sync job [1] in order to pull data from another local datastore. As of Proxmox Backup Server 2.1, you can also configure group filters [1] for a sync job, from the command line. This allows you to specify which content from the datastore should be pulled.

[1] https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/managing-remotes.html?highlight=sync jobs#managing-remotes

Thank you.
Looking at the 2.1 group filters, the docs aren't clear whether I can have multiples group filter per sync job, ie. I want to sync vm/1, ct/23, vm/456, ct/573 and ct/123456 only, so I guess I have to create 5 sync jobs, each with a specific group filter?
(unless I'm into creating a convoluted regex)

the filters are additive, so if you specify five groups, those five will be synced (if they exist ;))

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!