Moving Proxmox OS to a new pool

May 1, 2022
Stockholm, Sweden
Good day

So I have a broken RAID-5 OS disk in my proxmox installation, and I would like to replace rpool with a new pool (rpool2?) that runs on better servergrade sata SSD instad of the old spinning rust, yes the old disk is broken, not just a temporary error.

I know that there are some tools from proxmox that is needed to set up a new os disk when you replace and old one, but is there any good guide how to relace the current rpool with a new one?

I would like to run on smaller disks if possible, since it saves me some cash but it's not a requirement.

Thanks in advance!

Code:
root@pve01:~# zpool status rpool
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
  scan: resilvered 285M in 00:04:08 with 0 errors on Sat May 27 09:22:47 2023
config:

NAME                              STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool                             ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0                        ONLINE       0     0     0
            scsi-35000c50095ae2647-part3  ONLINE       0     0     0
            scsi-350000c0f0277430c-part3  ONLINE       0     0     0
            scsi-350000c0f02776488-part3  ONLINE       2     0     0

Last edited:
Hi,

moving your current system to disks smaller than the original ones should not be a problem. However, it should not be the case that the OS disks are completely full and the capacity of the new disks is no longer sufficient. If this is not the case, feel free to follow a tutorial from Aaron (Promxox member) on his private blog. Here everything is explained step-by-step what needs to be done.

FYI: If your new disks are the same size as the current ones, you can copy the partition table and regenerate the UUIDs for them on the new disks.

Hope this helps!
Niklas

Hi,

moving your current system to disks smaller than the original ones should not be a problem. However, it should not be the case that the OS disks are completely full and the capacity of the new disks is no longer sufficient. If this is not the case, feel free to follow a tutorial from Aaron (Promxox member) on his private blog. Here everything is explained step-by-step what needs to be done.

FYI: If your new disks are the same size as the current ones, you can copy the partition table and regenerate the UUIDs for them on the new disks.

Hope this helps!
Niklas
This was a great guide, thanks!

Reactions: aaron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!