Moving Physical Disk (USB) & VMs to new Proxmox Node

tadchilly

May 28, 2023
I've been using Proxmox nodes in a cluster of 2 for awhile and they both have relatively low resources, so I bought a PowerEdge R720 that's a lot more capable.

At the moment I'm low on storage and I've been using an external 4TB HD external HD on one of my existing nodes. I'd like to be able to move that along with the VMs to the new server.

Is there any straightforward way to do this? I can't easily backup my VMs to other storage and import them, this is my largest volume. I'm not using a LVM or anything, I'm using a single volume on the drive and it's mounted as a directory.

Last edited:
I see that I have to move the .conf files in

/etc/pve/qemu-server/
&
/etc/pve/lxc/

Also I would assume I need to move:
/etc/systemd/system/mnt-pve-Storage.mount

Also edit the /etc/pve/storage.cfg to update it to the new node

Is there anything else?

Last edited:
For anyone else who is trying something similar, I managed to get it using the steps I mentioned.

First I used scp to copy the mnt-pve-Storage.mount, lxc & qemu-server .conf files to my workstation, so I had them in case anything went wrong.

Then I disabled mnt-pve-Storage.mount and shutdown the server. Unplugged the USB drive and plugged it into the new server.

I then scp'ed the files from my workstation to the home directory of root of the new server & tried to copy them to the directories (/etc/pve/lxc/ & /etc/pve/qemu-server/) but was getting an error "Cannot create regular file 100.conf: File exists", even though the directory on the new server was empty.

Next, I powered on the old server & manually deleted the files in those locations. After that I was able to copy the files into their correct locations on the new server. After that I edited /etc/pve/storage.cfg to change the "node" for the Storage mount to my new server.

I then enabled & started mnt-pve-Storage.mount and tried to start the VMs. They didn't want to start right away, but after rebooting all of the nodes in my cluster (for good measure) everything started up normally.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!