Moving Disk to local from local-lvm in proxmox

Emmanual

Apr 23, 2019
Below are 2 DS in proxmox VE.

Capture.PNG
All VM disks are in local-lvm which is 96% full.

Is there any way to move disk from local-lvm to local?

Hey!

If i'm not mistaking - not really. These are different storage types. The lvm one is LVM-Thin. This allows ot store the raw data for VMs and over-provision storage for VMs. Local is Directory. It's great for storing images and backups, but not VMs.

My advice would be to opt for ZFS. When it comes to ZFS, there is no strict separation of space to local and local-lvm. Both of them plus the root partition share same space on the drive. This will help avoid the situation when you have plenty of space on one and none on the other.

Thanks..
I got 3 VMs running where in the disk is @ local-lvm.
I deleted couple of stuff but still local-lvm doesn't seems like showing up the free space.
How can I make local-lvm realize free space instantly?

I don't remember exactly, as i've moved to ZFS from ext4 and xfs some time ago, but the issue may be in the fact that local-lvm may report the occupied space equal to the space provisioned. Therefore, it may be the case that no matter how much space you free on the VMs, you'll still get the same 96% full.

Currently is it possible to move to ZFS without impacting the VMS? I can shutdown the vm but unfortunately canno't destroy.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!