move raw image, to another disc

intercode

Jan 30, 2019
Hello,

i am a new user - moving from VM :)

I have the following issues:

Q:

I have some VMware VM´s that i need to put into proxo..

What i have done so far is, downloaded the vm to my windows pc.. from here i will convert it to raw.
i think that is easy for me.

But the issue is when it comes to oploadning the vm to proxo.
the file is to large for me to opload to the local machine. i have there for added a new fysical disk.
and created space on it.

made a new VM, in proxo. with the same specs as the old from vmware. Created a disk in the new, vm, on the new drive.

so now i have a rav converted image on my windows pc - that i need to replace to the proxo, on the fysical added disc..

google did not help me out.. and i must say linux, is not my strong site..

i hope somebody can help me here..

and sorry for , if i am missing some info. this is my first proxo installation :)

BR / Inter

Thanks,

i have seen that.

but i think my problem is, getting the raf file, from my windows to the proxo.. the lvm disk was to small for the image, so i added another disk...
but i have no clue how to transfer the file from windows to proxo.. i can only opload on the local lvm - but that disc is to small.. so i need a way to copy the raw image file, and replacing it with the disc created for the new vm on proxo... i am sorry if i am not clear enogh. but i think this is the best i can explain.

so in short terms.

raw file on windows needs to be moved to proxo, on the newly addes fysical disc. for then to be moved in to the right container.

:)

So if I understand you correctly you have the raw image lying on a NTFS formated partition and want to move it to the local lvm ext4 partition in PVE. Well if the raw image is to large, you will only have a chance if you compress it, you might want to convert it to qcow2 with 'qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 image.img image.qcow2'.

yes, that is correct.

so what you are saying - that me adding a large fisical disc to pve - was a waste of tine for thet operation ?
the only think, you can use is the local disc on pve ? my "boot" disc that pve is on, is only a 250 gig..

well, i am screwed then.. i also have a 1 tb sql server that needs to be on the pve.

my dream was that i just could opload the raw files, and copy it to the respective virtuel disc for each of the servers. and then move it to my iscsi storage..

i see this not to work - but thank ypu for your time, and effort :)

i have read theinstructions - and seen alotofvideo.. but i stille havesome issues..

i now have the converted andcompressed file. converted from vmware.

lets call it webserver.qcom2

webserver.qcom2 i would like to run on the PVE.

as seen in the videos you can SCPthe file ti PVE. and replace the old file on PVE with thenew one.

but i simplydontunderstand where i haveto SCP it to.
i it guess it has toreplace the harddrive i made fortheVM onPVE.

lets call that machine webserver. og the webserveri added a drive, aproxthe same size as the file it selv.

but i cannot findthat drive anywhere on the PVE, when browsingfor it.. so i have noclue what to do now..

does it makeany sense?

hopesome can helpme out here.

The drive on the PVE
upload_2019-1-30_20-42-48.png

the converted an orginal file:
upload_2019-1-30_20-43-52.png

SCP to the PVE:
upload_2019-1-30_20-44-48.png

I think u can just set up a shared folder on your Windows PC with VM disk image in it, mount your share in Proxmox, then just use: qemu-img convert command:

I was converting Windows HyperV VM directly from NFS share like this:
qemu-img convert -f vhdx -O raw srv1.vhdx srv2.raw

I think u can just set up a shared folder on your Windows PC with VM disk image in it, mount your share in Proxmox, then just use: qemu-img convert command:

I was converting Windows HyperV VM directly from NFS share like this:
qemu-img convert -f vhdx -O raw srv1.vhdx srv2.raw
Thanks... buttheissue isnot so much, the convert.. but more - where i place the converted file, to use as a vm in pve.. :)

well i did test the share metod..

but it wont boot..

This is my windows share.. i renamed the vmdk to match the name of the disc in PVE

upload_2019-1-30_21-59-9.png

fromPVE :
upload_2019-1-30_22-0-41.png

i have also tryed moving the image and so on... but it wont boot:

upload_2019-1-30_22-2-2.png

Thanks... buttheissue isnot so much, the convert.. but more - where i place the converted file, to use as a vm in pve.. :)

If I remember correctly what I did was creating an empty new raw VD in my VM (capacity @ least same as your VMware client disk capacity). Then 'detatch' disk and do a qemu-import showing vmid/vm_virtual_disk_name as destination raw.
Can't remember the exact syntax on that...

well i did test the share metod..

but it wont boot..

Double check if your drive is properly selected in Proxmox VM 'Boot order' options...

PS. Renaming your vmdk to raw is actually NOT a proper converting method. Renaming txt to mp3 wont make a proper audio file :)

Is your VMware machine a windows one? If so u could try using Disk2VHD free windows tool (less than 1MB :) ) directly from VM itself to create a VHDX disk image file. Unfortunately it will take some time though.
Anyway - I've successfully migrated a physical machine (old win2003 std) to proxmox VM using disk2vhd but had issues using VMware converter

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd

Is your VMware machine a windows one? If so u could try using Disk2VHD free windows tool (less than 1MB :) ) directly from VM itself to create a VHDX disk image file. Unfortunately it will take some time though.
Anyway - I've successfully migrated a physical machine (old win2003 std) to proxmox VM using disk2vhd but had issues using VMware converter

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd
thanks.. but it is all linux vm´s i am testing now..

well idid start a convert, to see if it is the vmdk file itself, that PVE dont link for some reason...

but qemu gives me this error, when i use the -F option:
invalid VMDK image descriptor

iremove the -f vmdk code, and it begins converting... but i dont know if it a good thing, when it started with an error.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!