Move network configuration to datacenter level

xlnt

Nov 17, 2011
Sweden
Hi

I would like to see the network configuration on the data center level as well as on the nodes. So that when you run a cluster you can configure the network on the data center level (cluster level). As it is now you have to go through each node and make sure they all have all the same bridges and vlans.
Or is it something that I have missed?

Yes that is the basic concept but when I do have 4-6 servers in a cluster with identical hardware it would be very nice to have a network configuration on the data center level that made sure that all the nodes in the cluster shared the same network settings. So if I set up a bridge or a vlan I would only have to do it on the data center level instead of having to go through each node and do the same network configuration over and over again. Have a look at how Citrix does this with their Xenserver. Or even better how the old super cool Virtual Iron product did this, even today there is no one else who handles the network in such a brilliant way as Virtual Iron did (well Oracle VM might do it now since their new version is some what based on Virtual Iron).
you simple create a virtual switch (vmbridge) and choose which nic's from each host that you want to connect to that virtual switch. That virtual switch has all the necessary settings like vlan's and mtu sizes to be able to set jumbo frames. Oh and while I'm at it I got to bring up the PXE booted hypervisor that Virtual Iron used. Will do this in another thread though.

Yes that is the basic concept but when I do have 4-6 servers in a cluster with identical hardware it would be very nice to have a network configuration on the data center level that made sure that all the nodes in the cluster shared the same network settings.

We already had that in the past, but removed that feature because it is inflexible.

How can that be inflexible? When you still can have the option to "break" the global data center config if you would like to and configure network on specific hosts.

as default its inflexible. as an additional option, why not. but who will develop it? who pays the developers? thats finally the question for all features.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!