[SOLVED] Move hard drive instead of a backup (zfs)

Jujuwhd

Mar 29, 2021
Hello,

I have an LXC which contains emby (4T of files) on an 8T hard drive in ZFS. I plan to change servers.

Having no other storage medium as large, is it possible to physically move the hard drive to the other proxmox server and reassemble the LXC.

Thank you, J
Julian

Assuming the new server is also running proxmox, yes.
Make a note ot the mount point of the disk, copy the storage config from under datacenter for the disk.
Copy the vm config from /etc/pve/lxc/YOURVMID.conf, and place it in the same location on the new server.

Then you should be golden

Assuming the new server is also running proxmox, yes.
Make a note ot the mount point of the disk, copy the storage config from under datacenter for the disk.
Copy the vm config from /etc/pve/lxc/YOURVMID.conf, and place it in the same location on the new server.

Then you should be golden
Thank you for your reply.

If I understood correctly, I just do (for example):

copy mount point (mount folder): / bigspace

and copy lxc conf: /etc/pve/lxc/101.conf

Then put the information in the new server (node (pve)> disk> ZFS automatically seen? Then mount the mount point on the / bigspace folder in Datacenter> storage> add?, Add conf in / etc / pve / lxc / )?

No special CLI commands to mount unmount a zfs disk? I never worked too hard on zfs from a standpoint.

I thoight maybe it was an ext filesystem,
For zfs you need to mount it with zpool import NAMEOFYOURPOOL
Then add it it the proxmox storage tab from the gui.(make sure to keep the same name)
Then the rest is correct
Thanks for your reply. I inquired and testing on test disk. It's ok.

For information for others.

Export and import zpool (zfs pool disk).

On the terminal:

zpool status

zpool export <poolname>

zpool import <poolname>

Reactions: i_am_jam

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!