Mount Point excluded from backup although backup=1-Flag is set

Skyrist

Mar 17, 2021
Hey all,

i've got a problem with doing a backup of a LXC-Container with mounted Storage. Despite the backup-option is checked, the mount point is excluded when i want to run a backup from Proxmox VE-Web-Interface:

INFO: excluding bind mount point mp0 ('/mnt/mirror4tb') from backup (not a volume)

Backuping the storage is crucial (really want to do it with proxmox-backup-server) because it contains the data-folder of my nextcloud-container and is the main reason to do the backup.

Facts:
- Proxmox VE (6.3-2)
- Proxmox Backup Server (1.0-9) (is target of the backup)
- Storage is a mirrored ZFS (2 discs)
- the storage is mounted to the container using the following command: pct set 100 -mp0 /MIRROR-4TB-RED/subvol-100-disk-2,mp=/mnt/mirror4tb,backup=1

Why does the message says that the mount point is not a volume? Can i do something about it?

Thank you and Greetings,
Sven

hi,

you mounted the zfs volume with a bind mount [0], those can not be included in the backups.

if you want it to be included in the backups then you will have to use the zfs storage backend and create a volume there:
Container -> Resources -> Add -> Mountpoint and then choose your zfs storage for the "Storage" option

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Linux_Container#_bind_mount_points

Thank you for your answer!

I tried it the way you described before, but that did not work (Container -> Resources -> Add -> Mountpoint..). It always chooses the wrong subvolume, which does not contain any data (3). only subvolume 2 does contain all my data. That was the reason, i tried to mount the storage with subvolume 2 manually with the pct-command.

Hints:
1) I restored the previous ZFS-Volume from HDD-discs after i had to replace a corrupt SSD where the previous installation of PVE was running (was not accessible any more). Maybe that is troublesome? The containers are restored from backup, too, obviously.
2) Another thing is, that there are unused disks listet inside the container under "ressources". (see screenshots). maybe this is a problem, too?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• unused_discs.JPG
    unused_discs.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 15
Is it safe to delete clearly empty subvolumes of the ZFS-Storage until only the correct one is left? (i guess from Storage --> CT Volumes --> Remove is best?)
Are these empty container subvolumes only leftovers from previous bindings to containers?

those are created newly so it should be safe to remove them.
what i meant was if you want to have a mountpoint backed up, then you should move the data from your old subvolume to a new one you create. that way from the container POV it will be seen as a regular disk and not bindmount

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!