Mount hosts directory to KVM

luison

Renowned Member
Feb 22, 2010
Spain
alsur.es
Not having "bind type" mount points from hots to VM has always been one of our main pullbacks from using KVM more extensively.

I am trying to avoid NFS, sftp or SAMBA as an option and have just been reading about VirtFS - 9p virtio drivers (http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/9p_virtio)
I've found some old threads about it here explaining that it is not actively supported as it breaks the HA philosophy of PVE but as in our case this is not an issue I was hoping to do some testing.

I was wondering if anyone can share any experience with it or alternative if system admins can confirm if theres any way I can define a virtFS that does not involve a kernel compilation. All the samples I find all refer to "/usr/bin/qemu-kvm" which does not seem to be part of the pve-qemu-kvm package.

Thanks.

Hi,

as you correctly noticed Proxmox does not support 9p in the Virtual Environment.
But you can use it.
The kernel supports it.
If you want to use it, you can use "args: " in the VMConfig for it.
The needed rest information can be fount in the manpage of kvm.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!