[SOLVED] Mount CephFS as directory?

sGoico

Oct 17, 2022
Hello everyone, I am in a weird situation with one of the clusters I administrate regarding storage configuration.

I used to have an NFS storage with shared files among all the PVEs in the cluster. As I decided to migrate to Ceph I just installed it, configured everything and created a CephFS and a pool to store all the data.

After that, I just copied every single file from the "old" NFS to the new CephFS planning to replace this storage, and use the same name for it. As we have automations that run against clusters, it's key to have standard storage names. Now I am in this situation:

CephFS was created with the "wrong" name. Creating a second CephFS is not recommended and experimental as far as I know.

I am looking for a workaround to fix this issue without losing data. Has anyone tried creating a "Directory" storage type that has as target a CephFS mount point? Does it make any sense or could it create some kind of problem?

Thank you.

i am not sure if i understand you completely:

you had an nfs share and (PVE?) storage defined, now moved over all data to a cephfs (PVE?) storage that has the wrong name (in PVE?)

if you just need to change the pve storage name entry, you can simply remove that and readd it again with the correct name.
iow. the pve storage "ID" (what i guess you refer to as name) does not have anything to do with the cephfs name

Reactions: sGoico
Oh my, this was so easy that I am ashamed of having asked.

I just removed the storage configuration and added the CephFS with the old "storage ID" and everything is fixed in just a couple of clicks.

Thank you @dcsapak !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!