More nodes VS Separate Cluster

Haider Jarral

Aug 18, 2018
Hello Experts,

I am looking for some advice.

Our VMs need had outgrown our current 4 node cluster setup. We just got 4 new servers different specs than original.

I would like a recommendation on either to add these 4 nodes to same cluster or create a separate cluster. Pros Vs Cons ?

Secondly, If creating separate cluster, can I use same subnet for cluster communication as first one. My storage and cluster comm use same subnet.

Thirdly, If these are separate clusters can I manage them under same UI ?

I am more inclined on making them a separate cluster though so VM within the same cluster can migrate easily using HA.

Our VMs need had outgrown our current 4 node cluster setup. We just got 4 new servers different specs than original.

I would like a recommendation on either to add these 4 nodes to same cluster or create a separate cluster. Pros Vs Cons ?

In case of New Cluster solution you are totally independent from the old one. If this is an advantage or disadvantage is up to you. In that case
- a cluster continues running without restrictions when in the other cluster is a failure
- you have less traffic on the cluster network
In case of a combined cluster you can
- migrate (manually or via HA) any VM from any node to any other node
- manage everything by one GUI

Secondly, If creating separate cluster, can I use same subnet for cluster communication as first one. My storage and cluster comm use same subnet.
yes
Thirdly, If these are separate clusters can I manage them under same UI ?
no

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!