Missing raw - What happend?

sunghost

May 27, 2011
Hello,
i have a win2008 server with kvm and all was fine. i shut down the win machine and restart the host debian proxmox system 2.1. after reboot qm start tells me that the raw is missing:
volume 'local:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw' does not exist
I didnt delete anything, but what happend and where is my vm?

someone deleted the file or its the hardware defect. check syslog and dmesg and tests on your hardware/disk for defects. if everything is ok, restore your VM from backup.

running without raid is not recommended.

Hello,
i have a win2008 server with kvm and all was fine. i shut down the win machine and restart the host debian proxmox system 2.1. after reboot qm start tells me that the raw is missing:
I didnt delete anything, but what happend and where is my vm?
Hi,
what is the output of following commands?
Code:
mount | grep data 
df -k /var/lib/vz
find /var/lib/vz
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
Udo

hello,
none deleted it. its my system at home for testing and some machine like win2k.
mount | grep data
- no output
df -k /var/lib/vz
Dateisystem 1K‐Blöcke Benutzt Verfügbar Ben% Eingehängt auf
/dev/mapper/hamgujpc240034-root
300012112 55217120 229555212 20% /
find shows many lines because the other vm id is 101 and 102 the only info about missing raw from id100 is the empty dir
/var/lib/vz/images/100
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
[/quote]
dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content images,iso,vztmpl,rootdir

dir: iso
path /var/lib/vz/iso
content images,iso

dir: backup
path /var/lib/vz/dump
content backup
[/quote]
hope that helps

hello,
none deleted it. its my system at home for testing and some machine like win2k.
mount | grep data
- no output

find shows many lines because the other vm id is 101 and 102 the only info about missing raw from id100 is the empty dir
In this case, someone must delete the raw-file! Because the other images are present - this means, that the partition is successfully mounted.

The deletion of the disk can be happens long time ago. If you delete an opened file, linux use the file only for the file-locked proccess and mark the file as deleted. If you stop the proccess (like reboot) your file is gone...

Udo

Hello,
i checked the syslog and history for root and cant find any "rm" of the file. At least i resize the raw from 32gb to 42gb. before i make a snapshot of the not running win2k system. then restart win2k and grow the partition and as all seams to run fine, i delete the backup in the dump dir. is it possible, that the raw was not saved after shutting down the win2k at all and with the reboot of the hostsystem the raw was deleted anywhere? if i reboot or shutdown the hostsystem, i look with vzlist and qm list if a ll vms are down and then reboot the system.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!