Missing PVE/AbstractConfig.pm perhaps

daveo

Jan 6, 2012
London
dave.osbourne.uk.eu.org
Hi All,

I've just done an apt-get upgrade and ended up with this

Job for pvedaemon.service failed. See 'systemctl status pvedaemon.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
dpkg: error processing package pve-manager (--unpack):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u6) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
pve-manager
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
on attempting a qm list

# qm list
Can't locate PVE/AbstractConfig.pm in @INC (you may need to install the PVE::AbstractConfig module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.20.2 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20 /usr/share/perl/5.20 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuConfig.pm line 6, <DATA> line 751.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuConfig.pm line 6, <DATA> line 751.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm line 30, <DATA> line 751.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm line 30, <DATA> line 751.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/CLI/qm.pm line 19, <DATA> line 751.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/CLI/qm.pm line 19, <DATA> line 751.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/qm line 6, <DATA> line 751.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/qm line 6, <DATA> line 751.
:~# updatedb
:~# locate AbstractConfig.pm​

I had no issue before the upgrade and I wonder if this is simply a perl module that is required that is missing or if something else has gone wrong?

Dave

I'm afraid this was text book case of "impatience" - there is already a thread where dietmar suggestes

Seems you did not correctly upgrade - you miss package 'libpve-guest-common-perl'.

I did

]# apt-get install libpve-guest-common-perl

and apt-get update a few times and things are looking better...

I saw you wrote that, but I don't really want to dist-upgrade... why are you suggesting it?

My intent was simply to get updates to any packages (like openssl) but it seems to have triggered a much bigger thing!

Ok, so if I don't want the entire upgrade, but just a new library (say on a production server) does that mean I need to go the dpkg route?

PVE is a rolling release - you cannot "pick-and-choose" updates. We occasionally need to add new (internal or external) dependencies or split / refactor our packages, in which case a simple "apt-get upgrade" will fail (it does not automatically pull in new dependencies).

even without that issue, upgrading just some components of PVE is neither tested nor supported, and will fail in most of the cases. we do not track versioned dependencies between our packages (except for some of the split/refactorings mentioned above), as we expect all of them to be installed and upgraded together, in the combination in which we release them via our repositories.

if you have been using "apt-get upgrade" on your production server, please switch to either "apt upgrade" (newer frontend, pulls in new dependencies by default) or "apt-get dist-upgrade". if you don't, you're on your own ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!