Minimizing SSD wear through PVE configuration changes

ultima

Apr 9, 2021
I'm configuring my new ProxMox server and want to reduce unnecessary wear on my SSD root mirror. I've done a lot of searches and although it's easy enough to find some hints, I can't find a comprehensive tutorial to achieve this. What have a done so far:
  • redirected /var/log to a separate HDD
  • temporarily disabled the pve-ha-lrm and pve-ha-crm services
The context is a completely idle PVE server (no running VMs or containers). I have now reduced the amount of bytes written/day from 25.5 to 15.5 GB/day. This is still a significant amount for a server that's basically idling.

This begs the following questions:
  1. what is causing the 15.5GB written/day? Can I redirect part of this data to a HDD without a substantial impact on performance?
  2. what else can I do to reduce SSD wear?
And then there's this: my fast pool is a 2x1TB SSD mirror while my slow pool is a 2x14TB HDD mirror. The fast pool has the PVE root and VMs/containers. What would the performance impact be if I run PVE on the HDD pool and only use the SSDs for VMs/containers?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Not sure if it actually does anything, but I only run a single node, so I disable all the clustering stuff.

Code:
systemctl stop pve-ha-lrm
systemctl stop pve-ha-crm
systemctl stop pvesr.timer
systemctl stop corosync.service
systemctl disable pve-ha-lrm
systemctl disable pve-ha-crm
systemctl disable pvesr.timer
systemctl disable corosync.service

Not sure if it actually does anything, but I only run a single node, so I disable all the clustering stuff.

Code:
systemctl stop pve-ha-lrm
systemctl stop pve-ha-crm
systemctl stop pvesr.timer
systemctl stop corosync.service
systemctl disable pve-ha-lrm
systemctl disable pve-ha-crm
systemctl disable pvesr.timer
systemctl disable corosync.service
Stopping the first 2 services has a very significant (positive re: logging) impact. However, rather than stopping the services I'd like to redirect the logging but can't figure out how to do this. I didn't know about the final 2 services and will look into that. Thanks anyway.

Reactions: c-romeo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!