minfree LVM config option during install

ghostdunks

Sep 6, 2021
Hi everyone, just thought I'd play around with Proxmox on a NUC11 I just bought and see what this piece of software that everyone is talking up can do. So far I'm pretty impressed with it as a hypervisor, and playing around with different options.

I'm quite new to Linux so please bear with me if I'm asking stupid newbie questions. I have just one 2TB ssd installed in the NUC so just installed it with default settings on the NUC, choosing the EXT4 filesystem, with LVM, rather than playing around with ZFS, which seems to be a whole other deal I'd rather not play around with it yet until I get more used to proxmox. From reading the documentation, it seems to default to lvm-thin for the data LV.

So the installer has created the default partitions, and I've noticed that when i use the pvs command, it comes up with 16.37gb under PFree. From reading the documentation, this is controlled by the minfree config option during the install process. Reading the note on the minfree option in the documentation, its says that "LVM requires free space in the VG for snapshot creation(not required for lvmthin snapshots". Am I right in thinking that minfree can be set to a much lower figure ie. 0, because the VMs currently being stored on the data LV is LVM-Thin so any snapshots created will also be lvmthin snapshots?

Just don't want to waste 16gb if there's no need for it at all.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!