Migration from vmware to PVE: VM settings

matiaspecchia

Renowned Member
Jul 26, 2013
Hi,

I have to migrate many differents Virtual Machines from ESXi 4.1 and ESXi5.1 to Proxmox PVE 5.

I read the wiki's articles for many Windows guests, but now I have a problem with a Centos 7 VM.

In this case we got the guest booting right setting the disk as SCSI and the controller as LSI 53C895A, but I have two questions for the future migrations

a) Is there some place to visit to read (and eventually write) well known working configurations? I Mean the VM Options settings in the GUI.
I understand there could be big differences between a driver and another and the impact taking advange of hardware resources.

b) Is there any recommended procedure when trying some settings and anothers? I mean some type of workflow.
In my case I started with VirtIO emulation as I understand the VM would have better performance, after that I just try another with no criteria since I cannot say wich {net,disk,disk controller} emulation has better performance than other.

I searched for answers for KVM an PVE with no concrete responses.

Thaks for your help and thanks proxmox for making a great opensource virtualization product.

Is there some place to visit to read (and eventually write) well known working configurations?
Yes we have a reference documentation and you can jump with the question mark in the gui to the chapter.
About the cache mode it dependence on the underlying Storage.

General recommendation is to use scsi with virtio bus.

Yes we have a reference documentation and you can jump with the question mark in the gui to the chapter.
About the cache mode it dependence on the underlying Storage.

I knew about it. I meant about somethin like this
https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Guest_Support_Status

But with considerations specific network, disk, ballon emulation, etc.

I am doing a tiny list with this information for local use, so for the next VMs I will just replicate the documented config. I would like share the configs options.

General recommendation is to use scsi with virtio bus.

Great, thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!