[SOLVED] Migration from Unraid KVM: VM in Boot Loop

SlothCroissant

Feb 26, 2019
Hi all,

Planning to migrate from Unraid's KVM over to Proxmox (plus MergerFS & SnapRAID and Docker, etc). During VM testing, I've found that I cannot boot a VM that I migrated over. I've searched the forum and all I've found is one thread that said this should just work, but I can't for the life of me get it going.

Here's what I did:

Stop the VM in Unraid. Move vdisk1.img (OS disk) from Unraid to Proxmox via NFS. I created a new VM in Proxmox, and point the disk parameter to the various attempts below. All attempts result in a boot loop
  1. Renamed Unraid disk *.img it to "vm-100-disk-0.raw" in the VM's images folder in Proxmox. (per https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/moving-vm-from-unraid-kvm-to-proxmox.41806/#post-201049)
  2. Move vdisk1.img from Unraid to Proxmox via NFS, ran the qemu convert to convert to qcow2: "qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 /zfs/images/vdisk1.img /zfs/images/100/vm-100-disk-0.qcow2".
  3. Tried setting the disk to sata0, ide0, scsi0 (and the "bootdisk" to match) in the /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf file as well)
Every time, I check out the console to find that it's in a boot loop as it can't boot from disk.

The VM is a Windows Server 2016 OS. Here's my 100.conf (after #1 above):

root@pve01:~# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 4
scsi0: zfs:100/vm-100-disk-0.raw,cache=writethrough,size=100G
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 15259
name: svr01
net0: e1000=CA:89:A5:83:7C:C1,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=ce5cde1e-5250-4fee-9e2f-1517f23b5dc2
sockets: 2
vmgenid: c7d45b7a-699d-46c6-bc70-8750ccd8a241​

I can always rebuild the VM and copying guest OS data over, but I'd love to not have to do that if at all possible.

Thanks!

Was the vm set to seabios or ovmf?
Can you verify via a recovery cd or something similar that your partitions look alright?"

Do you get the Windows logo boot screen followed by a bsod or just no bootable device?

Sorry, should have clarified - No Bootable Device. The Proxmox BIOS attempts from HDD > CDROM > etc then PXE boots which doesn't find anything, then repeats. I can snag a screenshot from the console if you'd like.

VM is OVMF in Unraid. I haven't tried booting from a liveCD to validate partitions, but I can copy that same img file back to Unraid and it fires right up no issues.

Your config does not have the "bios: ovmf" variable. By default Proxmox vm's are set to seabios.
Add the variable to your config file or set the BIOS to OVMF (UEFI) in the Options menu for the vm in the webgui.

Reactions: SlothCroissant
Your config does not have the "bios: ovmf" variable. By default Proxmox vm's are set to seabios.
Add the variable to your config file or set the BIOS to OVMF (UEFI) in the Options menu for the vm in the webgui.

Worked like a charm! Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!