Moving VM from unRAID (KVM) to Proxmox

cmer

Mar 1, 2018
Hello everybody. I'm quite new to Proxmox so hopefully this is not too simplistic.

I am trying to move a few VMs from unRAID (which runs KVM) to Proxmod. My VM disks on unRAID are .img files, which I believe are raw files.

I thought moving the VM to PVE would be as easy as creating a VM on PVE, converting my .img to .qcow2, and then swapping the disk image files, but that didn't work. The VM cannot boot somehow.

What's the best way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks!

(This is what I did to convert to qcow2: http unixblogger.com/2016/06/13/convert-img-raw-to-qcow2/)

Last edited:
another method is to add the unraid storage in to proxmox and then use the pve gui to do a hard drive move on the vm. the takes some good nix skills, not sure you will like it, this will let you move it to any format you desire, and the vm could even be running while you do it (slow).

But you can add the unraid as nfs storage, or install sshfs, and mount it as as ssh-directory on pve machine ie /mnt/unraid-store, then in PVE storage gui, just add the directory /mnt/unraid-store, call it unraid-store.

Create a VM, but set the storage to the local default pve storage as a temp placeholder, then edit the conf for that vm in: /etc/pve/qemu-server/ and edit drive to look like so:

Code:
virtio0: unraid-store:old-vm1-disk-1.img,size=300G
You may need to change the img to raw like Wolfgang said.

Then go back to the gui, go to the VM, and select the drive and hit move, it will convert it automatically to whatever destination format you pick, qcow, lvm, zvol, etc. LVM thin is probably the best choice for simplicity, performance, space, and features, it is the default install option of PVE.[/code]

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!