Migration between Intel and AMD CPU causes kernel Panics on VM

kurdam

Sep 29, 2020
Hi,
I'm experiencing a big problem. We are currently in a big migration of our infrastructure. And i've been noticing that when i live migrate a VM from a Intel hypervisor to an AMD hypervisor, all the machines on the AMD Hypervisor starts to freak out with kernel panics due to reaction time exceeded. This is a behaviour that is my fault and it's been a accident for doing it because i know well that it doesn't works like that.
In order to solve this problem i have to shut all the VMs down, and restart the hypervisor. If i just stop the culprit VM, it doesn't change a thing. Looks like the entire socket on which this VM was running freaks out until a reboot. (I say socket because about half of the VMs on that dual socket hypervisor are affected in reality)
My problem is that human errors happens and that it would be maybe a good idea to prevent suck behaviour like VMWare does by preventing you to do a live migration if the infrastructure is not the same, forcing you to shut down the machine beforehand.

At least a warning would be nice. There are a couple of threads on the forums about this with tests of various intel and amd cpus, VM cpu flags and kernel versions and the answer is (as so often): it depends. There are combinations that work flawlessly, others don't, so a general warning about the migration of ANY non identical CPUs would be nice.

Please open a bug report here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!