Migrating ISO and BACKUP storage

leenux_tux

Mar 21, 2013
England
Hello,

I have searched through the forum for an answer to this question and can only find threads related to moving LXC containers or migrating VM's. Someone must have come across this previously so I am looking for some tips/gotchas to look out for. A brief description of what I am looking to do...

• I currently have my VM's served up via an NFS share from FreeNAS.
  • I have a local 2TB hard drive which I use for backing up VM's and storing ISO images.
  • I recently added 3X3TB hard drives to the Proxmox server, configured as ZFS RAID 1.
  • I want to migrate my ISO and BACKUP folders (with all content) from the 2TB HD to the ZFS RAID.
Has anyone else been through this process ? Is fairly pain free ? This is a SOHO system, for my own small business and for education purposes so losing the backups/iso images is not an issue as I can just redo the backups and recopy the ISO files, however, I'm the sort of person who wants to know how it "should" work. You never know, the information might be useful down the road.

Hi,

this you have to do on the shell.

the default location of iso's and backups are
/var/lib/vz/templates/iso
/var/lib/vz/dump

I would make an extra dataset on zfs like
zfs create <pool>/vz

and then copy them from the old to the new dir.

mv /var/lib/vz/* <pool>/vz/

now you have to add this storage in the GUI

Wolfgang, thanks for the tips/advice. Worked flawlessly, I have even tested restoring a VM from the migrated "dump" folder and it works fine.

I can now remove that 2TB hard drive and put it to better use.

Hi,

I tried to follow this advice and copied the contents of /var/lib/vz/template/iso to another drive which is mounted in /mnt/data and there to the folder /mnt/data/iso.

I then added /mnt/data/iso using to GUI as a directory with the content "ISO image".

But when I then select this new storage in the GUI, it loads for a second and then shows no content.

Do I have to register the individual isos with proxmox somewhere for them to show up?

Thanks

The folders in /var/lib/vz denote the different content types. /var/lib/vz is the root of the "local" storage. All iso images must be in the template/iso subfolder.
If you add /mnt/data/iso as storage and activate content type iso, then a subfolder template/iso should be created automatically. Therefore, /mnt/data/iso/template/iso is where you have to move your files.

Do I have to register the individual isos with proxmox somewhere for them to show up?
No.

Last edited:
Right next to the iso images. I suggest
Code:
apt install tree
tree /var/lib/vz
or if you don't want more packages
Code:
ls -lhR /var/lib/vz

Hi,

I tried to follow this advice and copied the contents of /var/lib/vz/template/iso to another drive which is mounted in /mnt/data and there to the folder /mnt/data/iso.

I then added /mnt/data/iso using to GUI as a directory with the content "ISO image".

But when I then select this new storage in the GUI, it loads for a second and then shows no content.

Thanks
Where did you add it in GUI? I can't find it anywhere

Hi,

this you have to do on the shell.

the default location of iso's and backups are
/var/lib/vz/templates/iso
/var/lib/vz/dump

I would make an extra dataset on zfs like
zfs create <pool>/vz

and then copy them from the old to the new dir.

mv /var/lib/vz/* <pool>/vz/

now you have to add this storage in the GUI
how do i get them from gui?

Where did you add it in GUI? I can't find it anywhere
Hi,
you can add a new directory based storage backend via the GUI by navigating to Datacenter->Storage and Add->Directory. There you can define what type of data you want to store on that storage e.g. ISO images.
Note that this will create the required subfolder structure within the specified folder on storage creation.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!