Migrate Vmware to Proxmox

Dexter2305

Dec 12, 2018
Hi everyone

I have a file disk image of Windows Server 2012R2 with extension .vmdk i want to import in proxmox VE.

I have Proxmox 5.3.5 i read in internet that now proxmox for disk images use LVM with only .raw format.

But i don't find how i can copy my file .vmdk directly in the lvm-storage?

Witch is the simplest procedure to do this?

Attend your reply thanks :)

qm importdisk

adds a disk to an existing vm, pve has to have access to the vmdk somehow (e.g. nfs/samba/copy to the pve box/etc.)

qm is a command line utility to manage pve qemu vms
for its use, please see the documentation, e.g. under 'man qm' on the commandline

ok but is possible if i have a file .vmdk on the nas copy directly on the lvm-storage and convert to raw?

Update i use thi command:

qm importdisk windows2012r2.vmdk local-lvm --format raw

And is start the process.

I let you know if everything work fine, thanks for now

Update:

I have attach storage nfs nas sinology with a Windows10.vmdk
I imported and convert directly with this command
qm import disk file.vmdk to lvm-storage and —format raw
The process goes fine a boot the machine e installed virtio the chance from ide to scsi but the vm is very slow cpu still 100% in idle

Hi i have installed virtio driver and balloon service then install qm agent and enable in vm option's, but non difference i have remove antivirus and the machine goes better, probabilly cpu host is bad intel core 2 duo e8500 is slow only 2 core.

I have another question:

Is possible to restore a single folder or file from a backup.vma.lzo without launch the restore the machine?

example

Acronis software backup i know is possible to restore a single file or folder without restore the backup.

With Proxmox is possible to do this?

Hi

I see the post for the bug Windows 10 CPU load 100%

but I did not understand which file to modify and with which code

Its "/usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm"

if ($winversion >= 7) {
push @$cpuFlags , 'hv_relaxed';
}
to

if ($winversion >= 7) {
push @$cpuFlags , 'hv_synic';
push @$cpuFlags , 'hv_stimer';

}

and maybe

if ($winversion >= 6) {
push @$globalFlags, 'kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard';
# push @$cmd, '-no-hpet';
}

Update

I edit the file that you indicated.

This string was already present in the file:

if ($winversion >= 6) {
push @$globalFlags, 'kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard';
# push @$cmd, '-no-hpet';
}

I only added this:

if ($winversion >= 7) {
push @$cpuFlags , 'hv_synic';
push @$cpuFlags , 'hv_stimer';

}

The i restart the process with this command: systemctl reload pvedaemon

Then i start the vm but not change appear this is a screenshoot task manager in idle:

9144d4add7bb6e02738f8ccb27c619d4.png

Out of ideas. start disabling service by service and see if there is one that is specially problematic because I think "Hosta servizio" is actually svchost..

You are right, 1mb/sec aint much. I'd try to install a second disk as VirtIO disk / scsi disk, install the drivers, then migrate the OS disk to VirtIO (+IO Thread) or scsi disk.

yeah i know the cpu and the hdd is not performing.

The cpu is a old intel core duo and the hard disk is 7200rpm 1tb

Is a pc for testing :)

Do you know some great tool for benchmarking hdd and vm in generally?

Crystaldisk inside Windows VM. I would still deactivate service after service or do a reinstall. However, dual core is dual core, so there is that, along with a spinning rust..well :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!