MIgrate KVM with QCOW2 to another proxmox with LVM

abkrim

Sep 5, 2009
Zamora (España)
castris.com
HI.

Usually use KVM over LVM2. Not use LXC containers.

After problem with machines and installation of Proxmox this week, I install a big machine KVM on a Proxmo with ZFS, but installed on /var/lib/vz, and disk are qcow2

I don't know this model, for work with snapshots.

I like move disks KVM to a new Proxmox 5.2-5 machine with LVM

Not problem if is not pure live migration.

But I need not stop machine.

Is possible create a snapshot of qcow2 files of KVM Machine, and after migrate to other machie how to LVM2 ?

I see some techs, but after 5 days of issues, but I'm afraid to mess it up.

Code:
Filesystem                                         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                                               126G     0  126G   0% /dev
tmpfs                                               26G   28M   26G   1% /run
rpool/ROOT/pve-1                                   1.1T  281G  793G  27% /
tmpfs                                              126G   40M  126G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                                              5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                                              126G     0  126G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
rpool                                              793G  128K  793G   1% /rpool
rpool/ROOT                                         793G  128K  793G   1% /rpool/ROOT
rpool/data                                         793G  128K  793G   1% /rpool/data
/dev/fuse                                           30M   16K   30M   1% /etc/pve
stor02somemachine:/srv/storage/backup/pro06       28T   21T  5.4T  80% /mnt/pve/backupremote

/var/lib/vz/images/109/vm-109-disk-1.qcow2
 /var/lib/vz/images/109/vm-109-disk-2.qcow2

qemu-img create -f qcow2 -b /var/lib/vz/images/109/vm-109-disk-1.qcow2 /mnt/pve/backupremote/vm-109-disk-1.qcow2
qemu-img convert /mnt/pve/backupremote/vm-109-disk-1.qcow2 -O raw /mnt/pve/backupremote/vm-109-disk-1.raw

#In other machine

dd if=/mnt/pve/backupremote/vm-109-disk-1.raw of=/dev/pve/vm-109-disk-1
dd if=/mnt/pve/backupremote/vm-109-disk-2.raw of=/dev/pve/vm-109-disk-2

Apreciate some help.

The easy way is attach both storage to Proxmox Host and use “move disk” function to move your qcow2 vdisk to new storage. This is same to live migration.

The easy way is attach both storage to Proxmox Host and use “move disk” function to move your qcow2 vdisk to new storage. This is same to live migration.
Bu this is not question.

Proxmox A --> ZFS -> Qcow2 images
Proxmox B --> LVM2

Is not same storage type.

So this will require downtime to making change.

You can create nfs share of /var/lib/vz on Proxmox A then Proxmox B will connect to this folder. Then stop VM on Proxmox A and start on Proxmox B -->move disk -->done.

Note: performances will be degrade but your VM can online with minimal downtime.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!