Memory Utilization

tejasthakur123

Oct 4, 2023
Hello There,

lately, I have configured a 2 node proxmox cluster (Raspberry Pi as q device)
each node runs couple of lxc containers however the memory utilization on node 2 is drastically high.
any idea how to get and fix that high memory utilization

top command from node
1698274720585.png

1698274765200.png

Hi tejasthakur,

You could try sorting the processes in top by memory usage, by pressing the > or < key (the key will switch from sorting on one column to sorting on another column). You could install `htop` for an interface that is a bit friendlier (if you press > then, it will give you a list of columns you can sort by).

With only a screenshot it is very difficult for anyone to say more than you already know: "Yes, memory is used".

What is "q device" ? Which filesystem do you use? Are both nodes equal in hardware (same amount of RAM, same size/amount of storage)?

My guess would be you are using ZFS for replication? ZFS by default uses up to 50% of your hosts RAM for caching. So its normal that 50% of your RAM is in use even when not running a single guest. You could check thatwith arc_summary. According to top 4GB of those 8GB are using for caching. And that's a good thing. Free RAM is wasted RAM.

Last edited:
Reactions: wbk
Hi tejasthakur,

You could try sorting the processes in top by memory usage, by pressing the > or < key (the key will switch from sorting on one column to sorting on another column). You could install `htop` for an interface that is a bit friendlier (if you press > then, it will give you a list of columns you can sort by).

With only a screenshot it is very difficult for anyone to say more than you already know: "Yes, memory is used".

What is "q device" ? Which filesystem do you use? Are both nodes equal in hardware (same amount of RAM, same size/amount of storage)?
Both the nodes are identical,

the q device is a quorum device which is helpful in case of failover
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_as_third_node

My guess would be you are using ZFS for replication? ZFS by default uses up to 50% of your hosts RAM for caching. So its normal that 50% of your RAM is in use even when not running a single guest. You could check thatwith arc_summary. According to top 4GB of those 8GB are using for caching. And that's a good thing. Free RAM is wasted RAM.
Yes I recently configured the ZFS replication and the percentage is around 50%
my both host are with 16G RAM

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!