Memory Usage Gradually Increases Until System Crash

Reactions: justinclift
Hi all. I've been using Proxmox since version 5. Each version had its bugs. But in version 8, a strange phenomenon happens. Proxmox increases memory consumption every day. I have an Hp 360 G9 server with 256GB and a few virtual machines that have a total of 125GB allocated (if each virtual machine consumed all the allocated memory) and it's up for 21 days, during which time the memory has reached 185GB. I mention that I don't use ZFS, NFS, just smb. At version 7 of proxmox I didn't encounter this situation. Now I'm using Proxmox 8.2.2 and today I updated to 8.2.4
i used the following commands for the affected server:

apt install proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-5-pve-signed
apt install proxmox-headers-6.5.13-5-pve
proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 6.5.13-5-pve

Work for me.

i installed the new kernel 6.8.8-4. About 20 days I have to wait to see if the memory grows

Hello,
I have the same issue, my last Proxmox update was on June 22nd and since that update I got the problem of the memory constantly raising.

With a total 16GB of memory, and with 4GB directly consumed at startup, the remaining GB are slowly consumed with a time window of around 1 week.

Yesterday I did a system update (I had a kernel update on that) and now after 24 hours the memory consumption seems to be stable a 4.90/5.00GB. I'm now running on Linux 6.8.12-1-pve (2024-08-05T16:17Z)

Now I leave it for about 1 week and see how it goes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!