Maximum Nodes in a cluster Proxmox 3.x

debian112

Jun 29, 2012
I have a growing proxmox cluster. What is the maximum limit to how many nodes I can have in a cluster? What is corosync configured to handle? I saw that 16 was the limit, but that was with version 1.x or 2.x.

If I wanted to run 100 servers, what do I need to change in corosync to be optimize it?

we do not test more than 16 nodes in our testlabs (but we do not limit the joining of more than 16 nodes in pvecm)

if you run 100 physical servers you can use separate clusters.

we do not test more than 16 nodes in our testlabs (but we do not limit the joining of more than 16 nodes in pvecm)

if you run 100 physical servers you can use separate clusters.

Is there a way that I can control multiple clusters via 1 interface? I am looking to have one interface per-datacenter?

If I have multiple clusters then we would have to remember what cluster the VM's are on.

Is there a way that I can control multiple clusters via 1 interface? I am looking to have one interface per-datacenter?

If I have multiple clusters then we would have to remember what cluster the VM's are on.

currently we do not have a gui for managing multiple clusters.

I have a growing proxmox cluster. What is the maximum limit to how many nodes I can have in a cluster? What is corosync configured to handle? I saw that 16 was the limit, but that was with version 1.x or 2.x.

If I wanted to run 100 servers, what do I need to change in corosync to be optimize it?

Hi, AFAIK corosync have an hardcoded limit of 32 nodes max.
(I don't have myself tested more than 16 nodes)

Hello everybody,

the answers in this thread leaves me a little bit puzzled.

Could anybody of the Proxmox staff members determine an exact limit of nodes in a cluster.

1. Does corosync have a hardcoded limit of nodes and what is the limit?
2. Does corosync have a theoretical limit because of inherent design or concept?
3. Does Proxmox have a support limitation for subscribers with clusters above a certain number of nodes for example 16, because of testlab environment?
4. A possible limit of nodes in a cluster is not mentioned in the documentation http://www.proxmox.com/de/downloads/item/proxmox-ve-datasheet ! Why such a necessary information is not published?

We use a Proxmox VE 4.2 cluster with 18 nodes in productive environment.

Thanks for any helpful information.

André

1. Does corosync have a hardcoded limit of nodes and what is the limit?
2. Does corosync have a theoretical limit because of inherent design or concept?

I don't think there is a hard limit, but the time for a token round-trip increases with the number of nodes. This time also depends on the network speed/latency and network load.

3. Does Proxmox have a support limitation for subscribers with clusters above a certain number of nodes for example 16, because of testlab environment?

We currently support up to 32 nodes. We also suggest to use a separate cluster network with higher node counts..,

4. A possible limit of nodes in a cluster is not mentioned in the documentation http://www.proxmox.com/de/downloads/item/proxmox-ve-datasheet ! Why such a necessary information is not published?

We cannot include all technical details into the datasheet. But the wiki contains that information

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_4.x_Cluster

Note: first line...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!