Maximizing storage speed on Proxmox server with MySQL, Home Assistant, NVR, and self-hosted apps

Jan 2, 2021
Hey everyone,

I recently built a Proxmox server with the following hardware configuration:

• Core i5 9400F
  • Gigabyte B365M-DS3H motherboard
  • 64GB DDR4 RAM 2400Mhz
  • 1 x 128GB WD M.2 SSD
  • 3 x Ant Esports 690 Neo 1TB 2.5" SSDs
  • 1 x 1TB HDD for CCTV recording
  • 1 x 4-port 1Gbps LAN card from Intel
The purpose of my server is to run a local MySQL database server with low/medium load, a Home Assistant instance along with its add-ons (ESP Home, MQTT), a Shinobi NVR, a Frigate NVR, and several self-hosted applications and websites hosted and linked with Cloudflare.

I currently have a similar setup, but with a Seagate Barracuda Q1 2.5" SSD instead of the Ant Esports SSD. The Seagate Barracuda Q1 runs on QLC NAND, while the Ant Esports SSD runs on TLC NAND. I'm considering upgrading to the Ant Esports SSD to see if it will improve storage speed.

I would love to get some feedback from the community on this potential upgrade. Do you think the Ant Esports SSD will provide a noticeable improvement in storage speed compared to the Seagate Barracuda Q1? Are there any other factors I should consider when deciding whether to make this upgrade?

I am also considering on upgrading WD M.2 SSD with Ant Esports 690 Neo Pro M.2 1 TB

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
I currently have a similar setup, but with a Seagate Barracuda Q1 2.5" SSD instead of the Ant Esports SSD. The Seagate Barracuda Q1 runs on QLC NAND, while the Ant Esports SSD runs on TLC NAND. I'm considering upgrading to the Ant Esports SSD to see if it will improve storage speed.
I've never heard of Ant Esports ... all google searches yield sites in india but either QLC or TLC are not the best you can get. In general, consumer and prosumer grade SSD are not good with respect to sync write performance and overall throughput. They run into their limits quite fast, but that depends on the load. What a low/medium load of a database server is needs some more explanation. The rest of your setup looks like normal home use, so it should be fine.

I can also recommend to do all storage device with redundancy or replication to another side and of course regular backups.

Jup, enterprise SSDs with powerloss protection could cache the small sync writes of your MySQL DB in it's RAM-cache resulting in way better performance and less wear.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!