[SOLVED] Max number of subfolders reached in .chunks/ folder

Taledo

Nov 20, 2020
Hey all,

I'm trying to use an old Dell VNXE Storage as a sync target for cold storage out of site backups copy.

The datastore creation fails with an IO Output error. As it turns out, it seems I cannot create more than 65533 folders :

root@definitelynotwhereiam-pbs2:/vnxe/.chunks# mkdir foo
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘foo’: Input/output error
root@definitelynotwhereiam-pbs2:/vnxe/.chunks# ls -lah | wc -l

My fstab is as follow :

vnxe_ip:/backups /vnxe nfs defaults,proto=tcp,nfsvers=3 0 0

This seems to be a hard limit set by Dell for some obscure reasons : https://www.dell.com/community/VNX/...arent-directory-hard-limit-65533/td-p/6893847

Are there any workarounds that would allow me to create a datastore on this old piece of equipment? It's still 14Tb of available disk space, and I'd rather use it that way than bin it.

Cheers

no, the way the chunk folder is organized is pretty deeply integrated and there is no way to change it

Reactions: Taledo
Alright, well, that's a shame. Guess I'll have to find another use for the VNXE.

Thanks for the reply.

Is file size limited? Could you create a usable filesystem with a loop mount?

As I understand it, there's no way to create more than 65535 subfolders in a folder. File size doesn't matter.

As for the loop mount, I've honestly got no idea, but seeing as how I get an IO error when manually creating a folder, I do not think the VNXE would allow it.

As I understand it, there's no way to create more than 65535 subfolders in a folder. File size doesn't matter.
As for the loop mount, I've honestly got no idea, but seeing as how I get an IO error when manually creating a folder, I do not think the VNXE would allow it.
as long as it allows to create a file several TB in size that you create a filesystem in, and it is reliably accessible so that filesystem doesn't get corrupted, vnxe is literally out of the loop.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!