Master and Slave Proxmox

openPhiL

Jun 22, 2020
Hi guys,
I found a nice dual mini-itx 19" rack case on Ebay and think, I want to build a proxmox master and slave system where the slave system receives nightly snapshots from the master and could boot those without user interaction.
(why: My home automation is controlling major parts of the house and all familiy members should be able to do a fallback from master to slave.)

Important:. I have 100€/$ budget left.. I want to get this setup working with the components I have.
I have 2 little boards (J5005, J1007u) , 3x2TB, 1x1TB, 1x750GB. the j5005 also has a slot with a 500gb nvme.

Currently, I am running some container and VMs to serve home automation and home network (opensense, openhab, TIG, unifycontroller, nextcloud).

My original Idea was to have a master-system running with 2x2TB drive in Z-Raid1 and another one(slave) with 1x2TB(zfs). Every night, I create and send incremental snapshots to the slave (that i boot up only to receive the new "state" of all machines). I currently have about 500GB of personal data and 100GB on VMs. That slave would then be my backup (with incremental data from multiple days to choose from).
-> that concept worked in my head and virtually (virtualbox), but now I found out that I have SMR drives, so I shouldn't run proxmox with ZFS off those drives. (if you disagree and think that is fine, I am still learning).

So my next strategy is to have master using a 500GB nvme stick to run the vms and use one of the 2TB SMR drive for Data. And the slave has a similiar setup (750GB hdd) plus my second SMR 2TB drive. I could sync those drives now with rsync or so, but that wouldn't be a "backup", it would be a failsafe.

Do you guys have ideas how to squeeze the idea of having at least a couple of days worth of backup in this setup? with 100$ left in my budget?
Thank you!
PhiL

2x2TB drive in Z-Raid1

You meant mirrored vdev, raidz1 with only two devices has no advantages.

but now I found out that I have SMR drives, so I shouldn't run proxmox with ZFS off those drives. (if you disagree and think that is fine, I am still learning).

There is no technical problem to use these, they are just slow. ZFS send/receive is superior to rsync, so I'd go with your original plan.

You meant mirrored vdev, raidz1 with only two devices has no advantages.
I think yes :) I have a rpool that proxmox created during installation.

There is no technical problem to use these, they are just slow. ZFS send/receive is superior to rsync, so I'd go with your original plan.
Thanks for your view. I will go and try my original plan now to see if the performance is ok. I can add the nvme drive as a cache to improve a bit I guess.

I am running the server with ZFS on my 2TB SMR HDD. A second 2TB SMR HDD will be added as mirror soon, together with a 500GB Nvme for ZIL and ZARC.
Everything is running.. but slow, very slow.. Then I found the sync=disable option. I am still reading through the docs I can find to understand my risk, but I thought this before-after-picture is too impressive to keep for my own.

Attachments

• Anmerkung 2020-07-01 132140.jpg
    Anmerkung 2020-07-01 132140.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 5
you won't be happy with ZFS and SMR disks.. your test with sync=disabled just tested your in-memory cache, if you benchmark larger I/O sizes, you'll find the performance gets back to abysmal..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!