Mail Delivery System report

Lamaster

May 28, 2018
Hello.
I need help with the "Mail Delivery System".
How can I disable the alert that returns to a sender if the destination address does not exist or any different problem?

Thank you
Aleksei

please post the logs and the content of such a mail - because currently I'm not sure what you mean exactly.
Thanks!

please post the logs and the content of such a mail - because currently I'm not sure what you mean exactly.
Thanks!
Hello.
Do you mean this log?
/etc/pmg/pmg.conf

##############################
# cat /etc/pmg/pmg.conf
section: admin
dailyreport 1
email my_email@MYDOMAIN.com

section: mail
ext_port 26
int_port 25

section: spamquar
reportstyle none

##############################

And about email body:

SUBJECT: Undeliverable: Test message subject
FROM: Mail Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON@smtp.MYDOMAIN.com>
BODY:
This is the mail system at host smtp.MYDOMAIN.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.
If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<blabla-te-123123123@gmail.com>: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.133.27] said: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist.
Please try 550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at 550 5.1.1
https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser
dh6-20020a0560000a8600b0033339cebae6si1525274wrb.979 - gsmtp (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Best,
Aleksei

Attachments

• 2023-12-03_16-38-38.png
    2023-12-03_16-38-38.png
    21 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hello.
Do you mean this log?
/etc/pmg/pmg.conf
no - this is the pmg config file - the logs of (most) Linux system can be accessed through journalctl - see `man journalctl` for details.

<blabla-te-123123123@gmail.com>: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.133.27] said: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist.
this message says that someone tried sending a mail to <blabla-te-123123123@gmail.com> - but this address does not exist....

no - this is the pmg config file - the logs of (most) Linux system can be accessed through journalctl - see `man journalctl` for details.

this message says that someone tried sending a mail to <blabla-te-123123123@gmail.com> - but this address does not exist....

Yes, exactly, this address does not exist. I want to disable this alert, is it possible? The sender should not receive this.

In the file /var/lib/pmg/templates/master.cf.in look for the line:

bounce unix - - - - 0 bounce

and change this to:

bounce unix - - - - 0 discard

Personally, i would strongly advise against this, because you should always fix the cause instead of fighting the symptoms, but ultimately it is up to you. Depending on the country, you may also need to know the legal framework, because an email can disappear quietly, the sender thinks it's gone, the server knows it's not and the recipient doesn't know anything about it.

Don't forget: https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_template_engine

Reactions: Lamaster
In the file /var/lib/pmg/templates/master.cf.in look for the line:

bounce unix - - - - 0 bounce

and change this to:

bounce unix - - - - 0 discard

Personally, i would strongly advise against this, because you should always fix the cause instead of fighting the symptoms, but ultimately it is up to you. Depending on the country, you may also need to know the legal framework, because an email can disappear quietly, the sender thinks it's gone, the server knows it's not and the recipient doesn't know anything about it.

Don't forget: https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_template_engine
Thank you. I will check it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!