MacOS VM single GPU passthrough not outputting to monitor

wikiales

Feb 21, 2023
Hi, I've been trying to set up a MacOS Big Sur VM (Ryzen 5 1600AF, 16GB of RAM on the VM, 32 on the host, RX580 sapphire pulse) and I've almost got it to work all the way, but I can't get the passed through (and only) GPU to output to a monitor connected to the host. I've gotten everything else about this VM to work (including operating it through VNC, even with GPU passthrough) but I just can't get it to output to the monitor. I've tried a lot of things, including pointing it to a ROM file on boot and blacklisting the drivers, but nothing gets the monitor to do more than flicker for a second and then turn off. (I, however, have not touched my config.plist file at all)

I'm very new to this virtualization business, so I'd appreciate it if you guys could tell me if you need some more information from me in order to try and help me. Thanks in advance!

What is the output of cat /proc/cmdline on the Proxmox host? Did you apply the work-around for passthrough of the GPU that is used during the boot of the Proxmox system?
I can't help with anything MacOS specific, so can you try the same passthrough with an Ubuntu VM for testing (with the same single GPU work-around on the host)?

The output for that command is BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.74-1-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet amd_iommu=on initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init
Yup, that workaround was the last thing I tried before I came here to ask for help
I could potentially try to set up an Ubuntu VM, but I believe my 120gb SSD I'm using is just enough for proxmox and MacOS, so it might need some finnessing. is there a way to output a VM to an external storage device somehow? That would make this easier

*EDIT: fixed the code I thought I had pasted

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!