MacOS GPU Passthrough No Output ( HD 7850)

La Matchata

Nov 24, 2020
Hi !

I'm really new to Proxmox and virtualization. After successfully install MacOS on proxmox at my home, i want to try install macos Catalina with Opencore on an old pc. Installation is a success but when i try to passthrough my GPU i've got a blank screen..
I try with Vmware compatible display and when there's the Apple logo loading screen, it stuck and i've got an error and the VM restart..
But when I can log on ( using VMware compatible display) in Graphics/Display tabs ( in system settings) I can see my HD 7850.
I've an Windows VM with GPU passthrough ( same gpu ) working but in this case I don't know why it doesn't work.. Maybe I need to dump my Vbios?

Before using Proxmox i've got a macos VM with Clover running with GPU passthrough on Lubuntu ( same GPU here too )

I don't know if my post is really clear, but i hope you understand.

Thank you for reading me and for your future answers !

Here's my MacOS VM configuration :

args: -device isa-applesmc,osk="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" -smbios type=2 -device usb-kbd,bus=ehci.0,port=2 -cpu host,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+kvm\_pv\_unhalt,+kvm\_pv\_eoi,+hypervisor,+invtsc

balloon: 0

bios: ovmf

boot: order=sata0;net0

cores: 8

cpu: Penryn

efidisk0: SSD:vm-101-disk-1,size=1M

hostpci0: 85:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1

machine: q35

memory: 14336

name: CatalinaOpencore

net0: vmxnet3=F2:5D:C9:62:D9:37,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1

numa: 0

ostype: other

sata0: SSD:vm-101-disk-0,cache=unsafe,discard=on,size=104G,ssd=1

scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci

smbios1: uuid=e1fc4c6c-bb30-42f4-ae7e-65fb23b9e23e

sockets: 1

usb0: host=046d:c52b

vga: none

vmgenid: fd9d899b-e8b7-44e1-9902-e8253888c766

And my PC configuration :

Supermicro X8dah+

Xeon X5687

18GB DDR3

SSD 120GO ( MacOS) HDD 1TB ( 500GB for Windows and the other for MacOS)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!