LXC: setup kubernetes problems

KevinGoos

May 24, 2019
I am trying to get my single node kubernetes cluster running inside an LXC conainter.

I am running a container with Debian-9.0-standard_9.7-1_amd64 image and docker.
(For the setup of docker I followed the official setup docker on debian tutorial). I also enabled keyctl and Nesting...

I started following the kubernetes setup tutorial but got stuck when I wanted to configure the network (Flannel) and intialize kubernetes:
kubernetes.PNG

Hopefully somebody has experience and can help me continue (I am already trying for a couple of days :()...

Also I will write a tutorial afterwards (to give back to the community), because I find the documentation about this topic to spread out... (So your contributions will be mentioned of course...)

People have already discovered the issue you are seeing with net.bridge not existing in LXC containers, it seems they were trying to achieve the same thing as you [0]. As far as I can tell, the patch mentioned in the linked issues has not been upstreamed into the kernel as of right now, so you will not get it to work unless you're willing to apply the patch yourself.

[0]: https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/5193

Reactions: KevinGoos
People have already discovered the issue you are seeing with net.bridge not existing in LXC containers, it seems they were trying to achieve the same thing as you [0]. As far as I can tell, the patch mentioned in the linked issues has not been upstreamed into the kernel as of right now, so you will not get it to work unless you're willing to apply the patch yourself.

So what you are saying is that unless I do this patch I will never fix this problem? And that I better run it in VM's anyway?

Pretty much. Keep in mind this only applies for the first problem you're seeing. The others should be fixable though: Use overlay instead of vfs as graph driver, disable swap (on the host), and for the modprobe error I'd suggest installing kernel header files - although that one might pose different problems as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!