LXC: loadavg increased after cpulimit enabled

janos

Aug 24, 2017
Hungary
www.awh.hu
Hello,

We configured cpulimit=0.5 for all container, and after that server load avarage are increased to around 300 (nothing else changed). But the server itself fast and cpu usage is under 20%.

I think, because the cpulimit, processes in container have to wait for cpu, and linux kernel calculating load based on this, this is why load average increased. Is it normal, or not?

I think, because the cpulimit, processes in container have to wait for cpu, and linux kernel calculating load based on this, this is why load average increased

Yes. Load average normally only means the amount of currently running + waiting threads (where a thread is either a full process or a lightweight thread) see http://www.brendangregg.com/blog/2017-08-08/linux-load-averages.html

Is it normal, or not?

Yes, it can be, depends on the workload. You limited this CT to using at max. "half" of a core from your host CPU, if a lot of tasks are running inside they may now stay in the waiting state longer and thus more load accumulates.

It's like squeezin a garden hose, the more you squeeze the higher the pressure gets.

But the server itself fast and cpu usage is under 20%.
The host Proxmox VE server or the Container?

Reactions: janos
Hi,

The Proxmox VE cpu usage off course. I thoc this is normal, i only wanted a confirmation.

thansk!

Ah OK, yes that's expected too. The server has more power for itself (and other virtual guest) if one of them gets limited. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!