LXC, IPv6, why 8-120?

Mar 20, 2019
Hello, I'm using Proxmox for more than three years and wanna say thanks for such great software!

I'm encounter a (kind of) problem - my hoster do not want to give /64 or /48 IPv6 subnet instead he sells each IPv6 separately. I have a /125 network from him and want to use it with couple of my LXC containers. While trying to assign one of these IPs I get a red-bordered field and, after mouseover, saw that there is a limitation about subnet - only 8-120. Why so?

I'm on Proxmox 5.3-11.

hmm - that's odd - afaik each end-user should get at least a '/64' - see https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-707 (point 5.4.1) - I'd assume that other RIRs have similar policies.

anyways - the red-bordered field and validation fail seems odd/wrong as well (unless I overlook something) - I'll send a patch for discussion to our mailing-list - Thanks for the report!

Well, that's their business model. And after network problems investigation they gave me /119 network for free, which is fine for me.

Businesses doesn't follow any RFC or RIPE docs if they can have more that zero cents for anything :)

Thanks for fix!

You can get a free /64 block from Hurriane Electric, then tunnel it to your firewall. This is what I am doing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!