LXC Id Mapping

marissachan

Dec 30, 2021
Germany
Edit: I solved the issue myself, see the first reply in this thread

I am currently trying to get the iGPU to work in an unpriviliged lxc container, which runs Jellyfin.

I am trying to figure out what exactly I need to do, and used the following links as a basic:
I do struggle with the ID-Mapping. The gpu device appears in the lxc container, but belongs to nobody:nobody (65534:65534). The solution to this issue seems to setting up id-mapping.

With the command getent group render I was able to figure out the Id of the group "render" in both the host and guest:
host: getent group render -> 107
container: getent group render -> 989

Because of this I decided to modify the file /etc/subgid and added root:107:1 to the end of the file. This should allow lxc-containers to have access to the host-group 107 from my understanding. (I did not touch /etc/subuid)

Besides a few other things I added the following to my /etc/pve/lxc/205.conf (205 ofc being the container with Jellyfin)
Code:
lxc.idmap = g 0 100000 989
lxc.idmap = g 989 107 1
lxc.idmap = g 990 100990 64546

But sadly, I get the following error:
Code:
lxc_drop_groups: 1366 Operation not permitted - Failed to drop supplimentary groups
chown_cgroup_wrapper: 1285 Invalid argument - Failed to setresgid(0, 0, 0)
cgfsng_chown: 1354 No such file or directory - Error requesting cgroup chown in new user namespace
__lxc_start: 2074 Failed to spawn container "205"
startup for container '205' failed

What exactly am I forgetting?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!