LVM shows that it's full

cyneric

Oct 22, 2020
Hi there,

im running into problems with my proxmox setup. I'm pretty new to proxmox and was not able to find a solution for this problem.
Proxmox is running on a 512 GB NVMe SSD and there should be lots of space left on the drive, but proxmox tells me I'm at 97% usage.
Did I miss to configure something? What am I doing wrong? Or might this just be a bug displaying the wrong usage?

Unbenannt.png

pvet.png
pve2.png

Reactions: melroy89
You have allocated almost all of your logical volume, that's why it says it is full.

You have space on your rootfs, so you could set up a storage on the rootfs and put some VM's there. My rootfs has a storage called "local" that Proxmox set up but it is configured for ISO's and templates only. If yours is similar you can just add 'disk images' to the allowed data types.

1627937292497.png

thanks for your reply. What I don't get is, even when I'm deleting VM's or containers the usage doesn't go down. I cant free space there.

The only thing that goes down in usage when im deleting VM's or containers is this, but my LVM is still showing me 97% usage

Unbenannt.png

LVM stands for Logical Volume Manager. It replaces traditional disks and partitions with "volume groups" and "logical volumes" for more flexible management of your storage. Proxmox uses LVM by default for systems with only one disk.

What the GUI you pictured in the first post shows is that the volume group called pve takes up almost the entire partition it is on. This is normal.

The VG is then divided up into logical volumes. The same GUI shows that there are (or were) 17 volumes in the VG. There are two kinds of LV's, regular and thin. Your root and swap are regular. They use the specified amount of space even if it is mostly empty. So your root volume is taking 96 GB even though it is only 25% full.

Thin volumes on the other hand take only the amount of space that they need. This means you can over-provision your space and have more VM's if they typically don't use all of the space you gave them. But you have to watch usage and if you start to run out you have to change something to prevent that.

The last picture you posted shows the space in your thin pool (called data). That's where your VM disks are carved from. It is only half used now.

From the command line, the "vgs" command shows you the volume group status while "lvs" is the logical volumes within the groups. For thin-provisioned volumes it shows how much of the provisioned space is used.

The PVE documentation has a section on storage that discusses this in some detail and there is a section on the LVM and LVM-thin backends you should read.

The display is full because the function uses 9x% of the physical disk space. You should pay attention to the actual usage of LVM partition.

Just like the house you built occupies XX% of the space in the yard, but it doesn't mean that the house is completely filled, otherwise the furniture and people can't use the room.

Reactions: Whitterquick
Thanks for your help!

So in conclusion this means this is totaly normal?
as long as im not exceeding my lvm-thin "data" im fine and don't have to reconfigure something?

Unbenannt.png

I'm reading this thread several times cause I've the same behavior, for what I understood is normal.
1674673710770.png
VG called "pve" is "reserved" I would say, but it's not full as my LV "data" that is "LVM-Thin" is using less than 10%, so at this point the GUI interface seems tricky especially to people like me that started to learn about proxmox!

1674673691511.png

Do you agree?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
So not an expert here, but I too have the 97% and assuming from what I read and didn't quite understand about LVMs, this is okay and I don't need to lose sleep over this? I'm still in learning mode on LVMs and storage.

1692291983758.png

Yes, the important ones are the utilizations when selecting your "local" and especially "local-lvm" storages.

Did anything change since upgrade to version 8?
I have never had 99% and red color, now I have as well - if this is NOT a problem, then this is misleading .
Or this can be my (but as we can see not only my) misunderstanding:

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 22.13.58.png

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 22.14.08.png

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 22.14.27.png

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 22.14.36.png

Reactions: melroy89
Did anything change since upgrade to version 8?
I have never had 99% and red color, now I have as well - if this is NOT a problem, then this is misleading .
Or this can be my (but as we can see not only my) misunderstanding:

View attachment 55073

View attachment 55074

View attachment 55075

View attachment 55076
Depends on what you look at:
"LVM" = 99% is normal and fine as it refers to much space of VG is allocated to LVs, and not how much of that space those LVs actually consume.
"/ HD space" = shouldn't be full as it is your root filesystem and server would stop working
"local-lvm" thin pool = shouldn't be full or guests would stop working
"local" = shouldn't be full as it is part of the root filesystem

Last edited:
Reactions: zyghom

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!