LVM Best Practice Suggestions

adzam

Jun 15, 2017
I have a Dell R710 with the following drive configuration. CacheCade and RAID arrays are setup on a H700.
  • 2x 120Gb Kingston SSD (CacheCade)
  • 2x 146Gb Seagate SAS (RAID 1)
  • 4x 600Gb Western Digital SAS (RAID 10)
I would like to have Proxmox on the RAID 1 array and use the RAID 10 array for VM storage. For not I am testing out CacheCade, I may end up using the SSDs for performance critical VMs if I don't find CacheCade to be providing any benefit.

Anyway, I am unsure of the best way to set this up. Am I better off just creating a new VG and LV for the RAID 10 array or removing the data LV and recreating it with the RAID 10 array?

Also, once I start using the RAID 10 array for VM storage, what is the best way to utilize the RAID 1 array? Should I give all the extra space to root for backups and ISO storage?

I am strongly considering just getting another two 600Gb SAS drives to replace the 146Gb drives and putting everything on a RAID 10 array, but I feel that money could be better spent on more RAM or drives for my NAS.

Any tips, suggestions, and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you use the PVE 5 media for install, you can setup a RAID1 with zfs during install. The RAID1 can also be used for VM/CT images as zvol or simple directory. The remaining disks could be used with zfs too. The different storage types and pro/cons can be found in our pve-admin-guide.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!