LSI SAS2308 SCSI controller: Unsupported SA: 0x12

udotirol

Mar 9, 2018
We're using one of our proxmox nodes as an iSCSI target. The node is equiped with an HP H220/LSI SAS2308 SCSI controller with a number of disks attached to it.

During high load (particularly when cloning or when the backups run), the kernel ring buffer get's spammed with tons of "Unsupported SA: 0x12" messages like below:

Code:
[2975074.390610] Unsupported SA: 0x12
[2975074.391782] Unsupported SA: 0x12
[2975074.392881] Unsupported SA: 0x12
[2975074.393836] Unsupported SA: 0x12

I'm talking about more than 1000 messages per second(!) that go on for a longer time, not fitting into the kernel ring buffer.

This looks slightly similar to this thread (in German) https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/probleme-mit-megaraid-sas-8708em2-zfs-over-iscsi.64794/post-328297 but apparently no solution was found there.

Unfortunately google doesn't spit out nothing useful, so maybe someone here has an idea what might be going on?

Hi,

Proxmox VE does not support the use as an iSCSI target.
What target do you use?
LIO is the better one.

yes, that's what I am using. The proxmox node is serving iSCSI requests using LIO, and to be even more precise, we're talking about ZFS over iSCSI.

Last edited:
Did you upgrade the Firmware of the Controller to the latest version?
And what firmware do you use on this controller? (HP or LSI, IR or IT)
What kernel do you use?

it runs on the original HP firmware in IT mode, nothing fancy here :)

But as we use those controllers in a a couple of servers, I noticed that the controller in question has a slightly outdated firmware. I'll update to the latest firmware version coming from HP and report back, if that changes anything.

Hi,

I have the same problem with LIO and ZFS over iSCSI, has the firmware upgrade resolved your problem ?

Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!