Lost connectivity after passthrough network interface

maxymo

Sep 27, 2020
I am new to Proxmox, have been using it for few weeks. The problem is that the web UI is not reachable, when using command line I see the network interface eno1 has an IP butI can't ping other devices in the network neither I can ping Proxmox machine from other devices.

I suspect what heppened, but no idea how to fix it without installing everything from scratch so I see it as an opportunity for learn from my mistake.

I recently installed latest version of Proxmox, created a VM and all working fine.

I created a second VM and this time I passthrough a network interface a PCI express in Hardware tab. In the list of PCI express there were 4 network interfaces (my server has 4 interfaces) but I wasn't sure which interface Proxmox was already using (I know it was the first physical interface) so I selected the second one in the list. I was still seeing a warning message when passing through about the IOMMU not enabled (so I did some research and enabled it modifying /etc/default/grub and modify line (GRUB_CMD_LINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on") after doing update-grub and restarted the machine, the problem appears.

I suspect I selected the network interface to passthrough that Proxmox was already using. I manage to delete the VM that has the passthrough network interface through the command line using "qm destroy vmid" but even after restarting the machine I still don't have any connectivity.

Any idea what I can do to get connectivity again?

Attached what I have in /etc/network/interfaces and the output of ip a

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 11.33.11.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 11.33.11.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 29
Try going into
/etc/pve/qemu-server

Find the VM ID you added passthrough to, edit the .cfg file and remove the line with the passed NIC. You can also backup all the .cfg's to /root/ before doing any changes.

Thenr reboot, see if that helps.

Thanks,
Try going into
/etc/pve/qemu-server

Find the VM ID you added passthrough to, edit the .cfg file and remove the line with the passed NIC. You can also backup all the .cfg's to /root/ before doing any changes.

Thenr reboot, see if that helps.

Thanks, I was able to get connectivity again but unfortunately after trying more times to passthrough NIC and HBA, I noticed my CPU will not support safely remapping interrupts so will not be able to use Proxmox for the intended use (Have Truenass in a VM).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!