Local(pve) not using all of the storage available in LVM partition it is in

ypaudel

Jan 28, 2022
I am using proxmox virtual environment 7.0-8
My machine is named pve, so the corresponding namings below-

The issue I am describing started after I cloned my proxmox HD from a 250 GB HD to a new 500 GB HD.

Originally, with the 250 GB HD, the default local(pve) storage (resides in /var/lib/vz as shown in datacenter>storage) used all the disk space that was available under the LVM partition as shown in pve>Disks> /dev/sdNn which was about 229 GB.
After the clone, my /dev/sdNn partition was showing the same old size of 229 GB, which I was able to extend to use all remaining space - so it is now at 499 GB.

The issue now is that my new local(pve) storage still shows only 229 GB of space allocated to it although both Disks>dev/sdNn and Disks>LVM>pve show 499 GB allocated.

The whole intent for my clone was to make the additional space available to local(pve) so that I could spin up some more VMs and make regular backups of some. Is there a way to achieve this without having to reinstall proxmox? I really want to avoid a reinstall because I have so many custom configurations including SMB share, FTP transfer, additional HDDs shared with SMB share on a Ubuntu VM etc.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Did you also extend the VG and LV that is ontop on your LVM-Thin?
I have added more clarification to my original post to help explain this. Under Disks>LVM my pve>/dev/sdNn does show 499 GB allocated. However, the storage shows only 229 GB available. Even if I try to add another LVM under data-center, it does not show me the remaining space available to add.

Can you post the output of pvs and vgs ?
They both show 465 GB available
root@pve:~# pvs
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sdc3 pve lvm2 a-- <465.26g 0
root@pve:~# vgs
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
pve 1 2 0 wz--n- <465.26g 0

I also realize what's shown under Disks in pve GUI does not match what lsblk shows (which is 499.57 GB)
root@pve:~# lsblk
sdc 8:32 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sdc1 8:33 0 1007.5K 0 part
├─sdc2 8:34 0 512M 0 part /boot/efi
└─sdc3 8:35 0 465.3G 0 part
├─pve-swap 253:0 0 8G 0 lvm [SWAP]
└─pve-root 253:1 0 457.3G 0 lvm /

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Can you post the result of:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
Not sure if this is relevent, but I have two other hard drives for additional storage added as Directory. I see the local storage under /var/lib/viz is also a Directory type. The former two are showing up here-
dir: DIR01
path /mnt/pve/DIR01
content rootdir,snippets,vztmpl,iso,images,backup
is_mountpoint 1
nodes pve
shared 1

dir: Backups
path /mnt/pve/Backups
content rootdir,snippets,iso,vztmpl,images,backup
is_mountpoint 1
nodes pve
shared 1

Last edited:
resize2fs /dev/mapper/pve-root

This command extend the ext4 filesystem of root partition.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!