Local-LMV Offline after clustering

Noah

Sep 10, 2018
This is my first time working with Proxmox so please bear with me on this. Yesterday I created 3 new Proxmox machines. Last night I added them all together into a cluster and decided to call it a night after that. This morning I decided to play around with host migration so I made a new CT on my first node. Then after it was up I told my main node to migrate it to my second node. It errors out with this output:

2018-09-10 09:30:38 shutdown CT 100
2018-09-10 09:30:40 starting migration of CT 100 to node 'Charlemagne' (10.10.0.6)
2018-09-10 09:30:40 found local volume 'local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1' (in current VM config)
Volume group "pve" not found
Cannot process volume group pve
command '/sbin/lvs --separator : --noheadings --units b --unbuffered --nosuffix --options vg_name,lv_name,lv_size,lv_attr,pool_lv,data_percent,metadata_percent,snap_percent,uuid,tags pve' failed: exit code 5
send/receive failed, cleaning up snapshot(s)..
2018-09-10 09:30:41 ERROR: command 'set -o pipefail && pvesm export local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0 | /usr/bin/ssh -e none -o 'BatchMode=yes' -o 'HostKeyAlias=Charlemagne' root@10.10.0.6 -- pvesm import local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0' failed: exit code 5
2018-09-10 09:30:41 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources
2018-09-10 09:30:41 ERROR: found stale volume copy 'local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1' on node 'Charlemagne'
2018-09-10 09:30:41 start final cleanup
2018-09-10 09:30:41 start container on source node
2018-09-10 09:30:44 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:06): command 'set -o pipefail && pvesm export local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0 | /usr/bin/ssh -e none -o 'BatchMode=yes' -o 'HostKeyAlias=Charlemagne' root@10.10.0.6 -- pvesm import local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0' failed: exit code 5
TASK ERROR: migration aborted

I was also unable to create a new CT on one of the secondary nodes. That errors out saying:

TASK ERROR: no such volume group 'pve'

After doing some googling I realized my "local-lvm" storage on my second node had a question mark on it. When I click on it and look in summary it says "Active No". Is there a way to reactivate it so the VM has somewhere to migrate to?

Last edited:
**Update I re-installed proxmox on one of my nodes and just used a drive as is without ZFS raid and this time after re-adding it to the cluster the storage is still active and I can migrate CTs. Is there a reason ZFS doesn't work? or is there a way to make it work?

Hi,

the problem is you try to migrate to a storage what does not exists on the second node.
This has nothing to do with ZFS.
You could create a PV what called pve on the second node and then the migration would work.
Alternative you use the CLI and change the storage target.

Hi,

the problem is you try to migrate to a storage what does not exists on the second node.
This has nothing to do with ZFS.
You could create a PV what called pve on the second node and then the migration would work.
Alternative you use the CLI and change the storage target.

Sorry like I said I'm a bit of a noob with this stuff. What is a PV? And why does the storage get removed when adding the node to the cluster? Because I had storage before I added it to the cluster. I was following the Proxmox wiki documentation and I didn't see anything about having to create a PV... Maybe I missed it.

What is a PV?
A PV is a physical volume of an LVM.

I guess you have installed on one node the lvm with ext4 and on the other node ZFS.
So this both nodes have tow different storages.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!