Linux Kernel 5.3 for Proxmox VE

Hi @martin,
Does the 5.3 test kernel come also with kernel-sources? Or is there some alternative way to run DKMS to install Wireguard on that kernel?

yes, just install the pve-headers via:

> apt install pve-headers-5.3

Hi, i see 5.3 in no-subscription list, does that mean that it is out of test?

It's still opt-in, so not completely. But we had really good experience with it, and also got some positive feedback here so that it was decided that it's safe to open it up for more easier testing for a wider audience.

We will probably switch soon to 5.3 as default kernel, though.

my current version

View attachment 12831
Is it save to update the kernel with version 5.4.3 ? What are advantages and/or risks ?

We discuss here 5.3 kernel for the current Proxmox VE 6.0 release - you run Proxmox VE 5.x. But yes, upgrade to latest version is the recommended way.

It's still opt-in, so not completely. But we had really good experience with it, and also got some positive feedback here so that it was decided that it's safe to open it up for more easier testing for a wider audience.

We will probably switch soon to 5.3 as default kernel, though.

So does this mean we don’t have to enable the test repository any more to install the 5.3 kernel and it can be installed using “apt install” if the no-subscription repository is enabled? I don't see the 5.3 Kernel listed as part of the "Available Updates" panel in the Web GUI?

Regarding the switch to the 5.3 kernel as default, would this be for PVE6 or expected in PVE6.1?

Thanks!

Last edited:
So does this mean we don’t have to enable the test repository any more to install the 5.3 kernel and it can be installed using “apt install” if the no-subscription repository is enabled? I don't see the 5.3 Kernel listed as part of the "Available Updates" panel in the Web GUI?

Regarding the switch to the 5.3 kernel as default, would this be for PVE6 or expected in PVE6.1?

Thanks!

See the first post of this thread (and yes, the pve-no-subscription repo contains the optional 5.3 kernel too).

Reactions: rkk2025
You can just install the respective headers package.

Code:
apt install pve-headers-5.3

If you have a low priority Debian testing repo added, you can then also just do:
Code:
apt install wireguard-dkms

Works good here since over a year :)

Cool, I upgraded to the kernel version 5.3 and it seems to be all working fine on my Up Squared (Intel Pentium N4200). Wireguard is broken for me though with this version. I had wireguard-dkms already installed before the upgrade (The package itself was showing as "latest version installed"), and while dkms was compiling it failed with some unsupported data structure exception.

I have one more question regarding Intel GVT-g. From what I understand GVT-g is not part of the upstream kernel release, so the Proxmox kernel must get it integrated in some way. What version|commit|branch is being used in the 5.3 PVE-Kernel? (Also is there some place where it is possible to see which GVT-g revision each PVE-Kernel is using?

Thanks

Wireguard is broken for me though with this version. I had wireguard-dkms already installed before the upgrade (The package itself was showing as "latest version installed"), and while dkms was compiling it failed with some unsupported data structure exception.

Be sure to also install pve-headers-5.3 to get the 5.3 based headers.
As we did not switched over to 5.3 as default the pve-headers meta package still points to pve-headers-5.0

wireguard-dkms works just fine here with the 5.3 Linux Kernel :)

Reactions: rkk2025
I have installed 5.3 Kernel on my little Home Cluster (NUC7i5BNH, NUC6CAYH, and a very old Q9550 System).
Runs fine at the Moment.

I'm waiting to give it a thorough go until Intel updates their ixgbe driver to compile against 5.3.

Last edited:
Just curiosity ... What does the 2 at the end of your NUC model refer to? Is that some sort of 2nd version of that model?
Off-topic but the number at the end refers to the plug type that is supplied with the NUC (US, EU, UK etc) ...

Does kernel 5.3 fix problem with AMD ROME:

[ 16.273618] EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC enabled.
[ 16.273620] EDAC amd64: F17h detected (node 0).
[ 16.273673] EDAC amd64: Error: F0 not found, device 0x1460 (broken BIOS?)
[ 16.273718] EDAC amd64: Error: Error probing instance: 0
[ 16.346761] EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC enabled.

Thx for info.

I have a server I was testing 5.3 on but had rolled back to 5.0, when I did dist-upgrade to 6.1 it says it has installed 5.3 however it is not listed under /boot

I ever tried a reinstall:

apt reinstall pve-kernel-5.3
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3,148 B of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster/pve-no-subscription amd64 pve-kernel-5.3 all 6.0-12 [3,148 B]
Fetched 3,148 B in 0s (73.0 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 73115 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../pve-kernel-5.3_6.0-12_all.deb ...
Unpacking pve-kernel-5.3 (6.0-12) over (6.0-12) ...
Setting up pve-kernel-5.3 (6.0-12) ...

However, it still does not create the kernel files in /boot and does not appear in the grub list, any ideas?

I mean, the "pve-kernel-5.3" package is just a meta package intended to pull in the newest real kernel, but the "Depends" really should pull it in.

Is the "real" kernel installed:
Code:
dpkg -s pve-kernel-5.3.10-1-pve
(check the second line "Status")

How did you rolled back to 5.0?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!